I'm lazy...... bought my cranberries for around 2 years, kept frozen. Yes, you read it right, 2 years.
Finally, I baked this cake.
And being absent minded, I didn't notice most recipes calls for the cake to stay in pan for 30 minutes before overturning. Instead I treated it like pineapple upside down cake that needs to be inverted right away after removing from the oven.......
And so.. the juices ran down the sides of the cake! Oh... it looked awful, as if the cake was bleeding. If I let it stay in the pan longer, the cranberry base would've set due to the pectin. So, I hope you won't repeat the same silly mistake like I did. Haha.
But if you like the effect of a bleeding heart.... you can flip it after 10 minutes :)
I brought half the cake to school and my colleagues all enjoyed it. Most of them have only eaten dried cranberries, and not fresh. I'm glad they liked it. Their favourite part of the cake wasn't the cranberries, but the soft lemon cake that I made up using whatever I have in the fridge. I guess enjoying these tart berries is an acquired taste. Although they don't taste sour to me after baking, they might still be a bit too tart for some.
Cranberry Upside Down Cakeby WendyinKK
20gm unsalted butter
150gm unsalted butter
1/4 tsp salt
75gm whipping cream
2 Tbsp lemon juice
5 egg yolks
1 tsp lemon zest
150gm plain flour + 1/4 tsp baking soda (sift together)
5 egg whites
8 inch round pan or 7 inch square pan
1. Line the base and grease the sides of your pan.
2. Cook cranberries, sugar and butter together until the cranberries burst and the sugar melts and turn syrupy. Pour everything into the prepared pan, Distribute the cranberries evenly in a single layer.
3. Preheat oven to 160C(Fan)/180C
4. Mix whipping cream with lemon juice. Melt butter and mix with soured whipping cream. Add in salt, egg yolks and lemon zest and mix until well combined. Add in sifted flour and mix until smooth.
5. Beat egg whites until very foamy and add in sugar gradually and beat until medium stiff.
6. Fold beaten egg whites into the batter in 3 additions.
7. Pour batter into prepared pan and level the top.
8. Bake for 1 hour or until done.
9. Let cake cool in pan for 30 minutes, then overturn the cake onto serving plate.
*Chill cake if not consumed within 48 hours
|My bleeding heart :)|