Wednesday, August 11, 2010
This one is a keeper, that one was a down-the-drainer. I will never ever cook that caramel ever again!!!
What changes did I made for this one?
I baked the caramel in the oven, together with my fresh pinapple slices, added cinnamon and totally changed the cake to a yogurt tea cake.
I remembered when I used to make pineapple jam, a cinnamon stick will make enhance the pineapple’s fragrance and flavour. It will not overpower, just enhance. Definitely it did, or maybe because I used just a bit. And butter cakes with this is a bit too much for me. I prefer this with something lighter. And Tartelette’s recipe suddenly came to mind, cos I did make that before, and was very very glad with the result. It was lighter than a butter cake, heavier than a sponge, definitely a perfect cake to used for this.
So, here’s what I did this time
8 slices of pineapple (1/3 inch thick)
4 glace cherries, halved
50gm butter, melted
80gm brown sugar
1/3 tsp cinnamon
1. Mix melted butter with sugar and cinnamon.
2. Arrange pineapple rings and cherry halves into baking pans.
3. Dot (1) over pineapple rings.
4. Place in oven.
5. Set to preheat at 170/180C.
6. When oven has preheated, sugar mixture would have melted and look bubbly.
Cake Batter4 large eggs
110gm butter, melted
120gm plain yogurt
120gm cake flour
1. Combine melted butter, yogurt. Mix in cake flour until it becomes a smooth paste.
2. Beat eggs and sugar until thick and pale, for about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add 3 tablespoons of egg mixture into (1), with handwhisk, slowly and gently combine.
4. Add 5 more spoonsful and use a hand whisk to slowly combine.
5. Pour 1/3 of remaining egg mixture into batter, and fold with a spatula.
6. Repeat step 5.
7. Pour batter into remaining egg mixture and fold. Batter will deflate quite a lot.
8. Ladle batter over baked pineapple when the sugar is no longer bubbly (about 2o seconds upon removal from oven)
9. Return baking pans into oven and bake for 20 minutes or until surface is golden brown.
(If baking in 9 inch round pan, increase baking time to 40 minutes. Baking time takes longer than a regular sponge due to the high moisture content of cake)
10. Flip the cakes and remove from pan immediately, if not it won't come off nicely.