New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Upside Down Individual Pineapple Cakes 2



This one is a keeper, that one was a down-the-drainer. I will never ever cook that caramel ever again!!!
What changes did I made for this one?

I baked the caramel in the oven, together with my fresh pinapple slices, added cinnamon and totally changed the cake to a yogurt tea cake.

I remembered when I used to make pineapple jam, a cinnamon stick will make enhance the pineapple’s fragrance and flavour. It will not overpower, just enhance. Definitely it did, or maybe because I used just a bit. And butter cakes with this is a bit too much for me. I prefer this with something lighter. And Tartelette’s recipe suddenly came to mind, cos I did make that before, and was very very glad with the result. It was lighter than a butter cake, heavier than a sponge, definitely a perfect cake to used for this.

So, here’s what I did this time

8 slices of pineapple (1/3 inch thick)
4 glace cherries, halved
50gm butter, melted
80gm brown sugar
1/3 tsp cinnamon
1. Mix melted butter with sugar and cinnamon.
2. Arrange pineapple rings and cherry halves into baking pans.
3. Dot (1) over pineapple rings.
4. Place in oven.
5. Set to preheat at 170/180C.
6. When oven has preheated, sugar mixture would have melted and look bubbly.


Cake Batter4 large eggs
90gm sugar
110gm butter, melted
120gm plain yogurt
120gm cake flour
1. Combine melted butter, yogurt. Mix in cake flour until it becomes a smooth paste.
2. Beat eggs and sugar until thick and pale, for about 5-7 minutes.
3. Add 3 tablespoons of egg mixture into (1), with handwhisk, slowly and gently combine.
4. Add 5 more spoonsful and use a hand whisk to slowly combine.
5. Pour 1/3 of remaining egg mixture into batter, and fold with a spatula.
6. Repeat step 5.
7. Pour batter into remaining egg mixture and fold. Batter will deflate quite a lot.
8. Ladle batter over baked pineapple when the sugar is no longer bubbly (about 2o seconds upon removal from oven)
9. Return baking pans into oven and bake for 20 minutes or until surface is golden brown.
(If baking in 9 inch round pan, increase baking time to 40 minutes. Baking time takes longer than a regular sponge due to the high moisture content of cake)
10. Flip the cakes and remove from pan immediately, if not it won't come off nicely.





Verdict: A lot lot nicer :) 


26 comments:

  1. I would like to have one for coffee break. :)
    I like that your cake height is just nice for the fruit so that with every bite, there's fruit and cake together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. reminded me so much of my secondary school life - home economics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so pretty and delicious, can I have one?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been waiting for you pineapple upside-down cake for so long, finally you post it... gonna try it soon ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  5. great idea to prepare individually, this cake look moist and good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh.. it's so pretty! The pineapples just sit nicely on top of each cakes that had presented flowery effects. I suppose it'll be yummy to served warm with a dollop of vanilla ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is really popular in the US. Do you know that Nordicware has a special bundt pan just for pineapple upside down cake?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Busygran,
    Oh yes, too high and no fruit :)

    Edith,
    Haha.... those days

    DG,
    sure can

    ReplyDelete
  9. neeyeeloh,
    Oh, let me know how it goes ya

    Sonia,
    yup, I've always liked the rings to be this way, rather than one whole cake

    Kitchen Corner,
    Fresh pineapple gave it better effect than canned ones.

    Shirley,
    I don't think I'll make this often,and I don't think I need a pan for it. Hahaha!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The classic upsidedown pineapple cake. What not to love :) Great idea baking it individualy. They look so much nicer than whole.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wendy, the cake is so beautiful. I like the red cherry at the center of pineapple, well presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hmm..mm... such lovely bake! I love simple recipe and they look so cute. Just perfect for gathering or parties. Hope you're enjoying your evening, dear.
    Cheers, kristy

    ReplyDelete
  13. Gert,
    I love small cakes, quick to bake and easy too eat.

    Jess,
    Thanks.

    Kristy,
    I think the portion is a bit too big for parties, one cake can take up quite an amount of tummy space. Hahah!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Wendy,
    Ur mini pineaaple cakes looks really lovely. Die-die must try recipe! I think fresh pineapple definitely will make a difference - sigh! but Fresh pineapple is soo...expensive in Oz!:(

    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  15. Upside down cakes are always so pretty to look at! well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Susanna,
    Haha, pineapple is so so cheap here.
    Anything imported are expensive. Strawberries are so expensive here, even locally growns ones are expensive.

    Biren,
    Thanks

    Pigpigscorner,
    Yup, it's very pretty, but taste wise, there's nothing very fantastic about it. I don't think I'll do another upside down pineapple cake now that I've succeeded.

    ReplyDelete
  17. wahhh gud idea wat comel2! leh try nanti... dah lama teringin nak buat. thanx wendy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love individual cakes and this looks great as it is moist too. Can you change the base to say add, banana, or peaches instead ? Looks absolutely YUMMY!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Joudie,
    I'd say, up to your preference.
    There are many upside down cakes around and you can even use apples.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very Nice and it's a good idea to bake individually...:)
    I haven't try baking Pineapple Upside Down cake yet, cos the caramel thing always gives me a feeling that the cake will be very sweet :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Mumto4angels,
    I won't deny some recipes call for a heck lot of sugar for the caramel.
    But what I've done here is fine. A lot lesser than a lot of other recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love this idea. Cute little pineapple upside down cakes :) count me in.

    ReplyDelete
  23. grace,
    It's easier to serve compared to a large cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Wendy,

    I tried the recipe last night. oNly One word to describe.....is "SUPER"!!!! :)

    Thanks for sharing your recipe. Appreciate it :))

    Cheers,
    Elyn Teo

    ReplyDelete
  25. Elyn,
    So glad you super liked it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...