New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Hamantaschen @ Haman's Hat with Apricot - Cookies #2



Hamantaschen means Haman's hat,  a traditional Jewish cookie that is eaten during Purim festival  to remember the defeat of their enemy named Haman. Read  story here.Haman wore a triangular hat, and so.. that was the reason for the shape of the cookie. In Israel, they are known as Oznei Haman, as in Haman's Ears.





There are many variations of the dough on the internet. Some are crispy, some cakey, some  yeasty,some made with oil, some butter. Traditional fillings are like poppy seed, prune and apricot. More modern varieties like chocolate and strawberry jam are also found  nowadays. I decided to go with apricot  as I like the colour.



I altered a bit of the  recipe, because I am not very confident of moulding it in our weather to stay as a triangle in my hands, later they turn into balls, hahaha! I think I overworked the dough. It was a little bit too crunchy, as this ratio is something I have made before, but it wasn't like this.

My dried apricots weren't too fragrant, and so the apricot butter wasn't as splendid as I wished.  But it's a good alternative for a low sucrose filling.



Hamantaschen
Adapted from: Shiksa in the Kitchen
Makes 30 pcs

Apricot Butter

150gm dried apricots
60gm orange juice
125ml water
3 Tbsp sugar


Dough
90gm butter (I used salted)
65gm sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp orange zest
180gm flour (I used more than the recipe)

Prepare filling
1. Cut apricots into small pieces.
2. Combine with all the ingredients and bring  to a boil. Lower to a simmer (lid on) until the apricots are soft and liquid is left to around 1-2 Tbsp on the base of the pot.
3. Puree or mash the apricots.
4. Keep in fridge, covered until time of use.

Prepare dough.
5. Cream butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. Add in egg and beat until smooth. Add in vanilla and orange zest and beat for a  while. Add in flour and mix until combined.
6. Wrap dough in cling wrap and keep chilled for 1hour at least. Or you can chill it overnight.

Shaping and Baking
7. Take the dough out from fridge. Unwrap dough, divide dough into 3 portions. Roll each portion into 3-4mm thick, cut with a 2.5 inch round cutter.
8. Put some  filling in the center and fold the 3 sides in, one  corner overlapping the other.(see pic)
9. Bake in a preheated oven at 180C for 17 minutes or until the corners start to turn golden.

*Filling amount was left with 1tsp when dough was used up.




I used a cut up soft drink can to cut the dough, because it was the size that I want. See here  on how to cut the can




I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest West Asia Month

5 comments:

  1. I haven't made these cookies in years, Wendy. Yours look just perfect. I'm sure they are delicious too. Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Перфектни!!! Поздравление!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very festive looking, lovely color to serve during festive times, I have been pinning too many cookies of late! Let's hope I can manage to at least bake a few!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just a note- the most popular fillings in Israel are dates and poppy seed. Nuts and strawberry jam follow. Apricot filling is an American thing.
    Making them stay as triangles is not so easy... You did well!! ^_^

    I was surprised to see this post, and got confused for a minute... LOL... They'll be in "season" in about 2 months. I didn't expect it now ^_^

    Thank you for your lovely blog, and all the great recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irit,
    Thanks for the information. I got the recipe and information from an American website.
    I think it's because my dough was on the firm side..so, keeping them as triangles were easier.
    :) Not authentic, heheheh. I'm curious to know how the real thing taste like, but there will never be a chance for me, as our passport doesn't allow us to travel to Israel.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...