Saturday, April 10, 2010
Kailan is Chinese Kale.
My mom used to do kailan almost this way. I added in shitake mushroom slices this time.
You can do the gravy in advance and pour it on the blanched kailan just before serving.
This portion is enough for 4 persons. It's too much if you're feeding carnivores and too little if feeding herbivores.
Kailan with Pork and Mushroom Gravy Recipe
300gm Hong Kong Kailan
Bring a pot of water (about3L), add in ½ tsp salt and ½ tsp sugar and 1 tsp oil. Blanch kale for 30 seconds. Drain well.
1/3 cup pork, cut into thin strips, matching the mushrooms (Chicken breast strips may be substituted)
3 pcs large dried shitake, soaked and sliced
2 tbsp oil
2 shallots (sliced thinly)
1 clove garlic (chopped finely)
Seasoning (combine together)
1 Tbsp oyster sauce
1 Tbsp light soy sauce
½ tsp sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cornstarch
½ cup water or slightly more.
1. Heat wok and put in oil. Saute shallots until fragrant, add in garlic. Fry until both are lightly golden.
2. Put in pork strips and stir fry until meat is cooked.
3. Put in mushrooms and toss for 30 seconds.
4. Put in seasoning mixture and bring to a boil, adding more water if its too thick.
5. Let it simmer for 30 seconds and pour gravy on blanched kailan. Serve.