New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, December 9, 2011

Beetroot Tofu Salmon Parcels with Brocolli Xmas Tree - Red/Green Week # 3


I wanted to do a Brocolli Xmas Tree, but has been contemplating between Chinese style or Western style.
Not until Mike's relatives came back for the weekend, and I'm hosting them a dinner did I finally decided on how to do it.

It'll be Chinese style :)


What I will be making as parcels will also be determined by what's for dinner. Recently I picked up a new hobby, making noodles. So I asked them whether they want homemade noodles and pasta at my place. So, they said yes and so, the idea of forming the tree base with mashed potato is scraped. It has to be a fully veggie tree. Mike's aunts are a bit health conscious, so I better do something healthy. Before that I had been contemplating between red cooked pork belly parcels, or bacon wrapped chicken parcels or something associated with meat. But since it's for them, hmm no bacon, and no fatty stuff like belly and such. Tofu parcels will be the best for them, with salmon in the middle. That will sound better for entertaining, rather than plain frugal tofu.

These tofu parcels took me more than 1 hour to complete............ But maybe because I made 15 pieces. Took me quite some time to get every piece nicely bundled up. And the tofu is fragile, can't work too fast without breaking them.

But alas..... I was late. Although cooking this was simple, as in, steaming, blanching and cooking a simple sauce, but I was so so tied up with the noodles and pasta I barely had time to nicely decorate the Xmas tree. Everybody's hungy. So, only "snow" was on the tree with a Star, rather bare, hahaha! But then again, at least it's completed. If only I added some chopped capsicums here and there a bit or some goji berries, then it will look much much better.

Are you in the mood for Christmas yet?



Beetroot Tofu Salmon Parcels with Brocolli Xmas Tree.
Recipe created by Wendyywy

Beetroot Tofu Salmon Parcels
Tofu (2 large blocks)
Salmon (I used one palm sized piece, 1 inch thick)
Beetroot ( as many as needed)
Chinese Chives (Few stalks)

1. Cut tofu into squarish slices and slice salmon into similar sizes.
2. Slice beetroot with a mandolin and trim to similar slices with tofu.
3. Boil a small pot of water and blanch chives (Untrimmed) for 3 seconds. Immediately plunge them into cold water to stop the cooking.
4. Sandwich a slice of salmon with 2 slices of tofu (sprinkle some salt and pepper onto the salmon if needed, but I didn’t and I should've).
5. Use beetroot to sandwich (4).
6. Tear a piece of chive (up until its white base) and wrap the “sandwiches” like a parcel.
7. Steam on high heat for 5 minutes or until done.
8. Remove from steaming plate and arrange on serving plate.

Brocolli Christmas Tree
2 heads of broccoli
1 slice of starfruit
1 cup chicken stock
1 tsp cornstarch
1 egg white
1 tsp oil

1. Heat a pot of water and put in some salt and sugar.
2. Boil whole heads of broccoli for 1 minute or until desired softness(I like mine to be still crunchy) and drain.
3. Trim broccoli and arrange like a Christmas tree (with the beetroot parcels around) Top with a starfruit slice.
4. Mix chicken stock with cornstarch. Bring to a boil (adjust consistency if needed). The gravy should look thicken than what you want because it will water down when it touches the broccoli. Taste and adjust saltiness if needed.
5. Put in oil and egg white. Stir it immediately to create egg white streaks.
6. Pour the gravy over edible Christmas tree. Add some goji berries if needed. But I was in rush for dinner.




I am submitting this to the Christmas Giveaway in


34 comments:

  1. wow this is the cutest post very love it

    ReplyDelete
  2. Waaa....vry creative!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, you gotta be kidding me...you said it's a simple dish? I think I'll face difficulty with those tofu :s

    Nice edible xmas tree. What would you opt to put as the tree's 'ornaments'?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rebecca,
    thanks :)


    Joanne,
    Good for your parents! Try Try! Very "ching"


    Yvonne,
    It's simple cooking process, steam and boil only ma. I never said simple preparation and assembly. hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are really something. Going into such a lenght to prepare a dish. For me, too lazy ha ha.. the simple the better :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! Love it so Much.
    Merry Christmas to u & Family!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chinese style Xmas tree? that would be the greatest surprise for family! :) Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amazing, speechless..awesome.. thanks for sharing.

    A silent reader/ follower,
    Adeline Ho

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wendy....That is beautiful...tofu with salmon and beetroot...my favorite. That broccoli tree with the starfruit is a real beauty :) I would never have thought of this. This dish is a winner alright ! :) Thumbs up And well done !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Gert,
    For SS ma, hahaha. I wanted to make "presents", If I used tofupok, and stuffed them to make parcels, then easier.. me itchy butt la, hahaha.


    “追食富迪”,
    thanks!


    yyv,
    Haha, Christmas is inter-racial. God didn't come into this world for the angmoh only.


    Adeline,
    I'm happy this tree broke ur silence,
    Thanks!


    Elin,
    OOO..... who wins no one knows yet ler.
    Not important la, as long as we did our best and we won over ourselves, right?

    ReplyDelete
  11. wendy,you really very very creative...it make my mouth watering.....Merry Christmas to you and your family.....

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wah your red and green theme is super nice ya! I think Swee San should just give e prize to you la...for being so supportive, heehee! Love the broccoli Xmas tree....:)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hody,
    Hahaha.. still very far off leh



    Bee,
    cannot like that one.
    Only winners will get the prize.
    BTW, I'm not the one with the most entries. If you see her roundup, u will know

    ReplyDelete
  14. That dish will be on my Christmas table!! FANTABULOUSLY STUNNING!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It is indeed a simple dish but the delicate preparation involved and the eventual artistic plated presentation speaks for itself. This is true talent and definitely pure food art. Excellently stunning!

    Reinnie Choo
    Penang

    ReplyDelete
  16. very impressive with the design and use of beetroot and salmon for the tofu! Awesome!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wendy...yeap..the most important we enjoyed ourselves and win over ourselves :) and not to forget give our support to SS lo :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Enjoyed browsing thru your red/green week, simply amazing, all of them! Bursting with creativity :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. hai wendy..
    i'm simply amazed by your blog..
    so proud as a perakean..esp when u mentioned Kampar in one of the entry (that's my hometown!!)

    ReplyDelete
  20. You're very creative, thumbs up for you .....

    ReplyDelete
  21. This looks so fascinating, really like a christmas tree:D I like the look of the beetroot parcels.

    ReplyDelete
  22. How's the taste like? I tried salmon with tofu before, but not with beetroot. Agree, the salmon needs a little salt and pepper, since all are bland. The final gravy is not sufficient to bind the taste together. If not for healthy consideration or the red theme, maybe ham will taste better than the beetroot?

    ReplyDelete
  23. omg that looks so beautiful! I swear you're getting more and more chef-y these days!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Dear Wendy,

    OH MY GOODNESS....this is soooo beautiful. At first I thought it was a christmas ornaments. This is really amazing... Keep it up! I like your blog/recipe very much and I have tried a few of them. All turned out GREAT!

    Keep it coming ya....

    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  25. this is very very pretty!! and Wendy you are so creative in presenting this dish! I bet your relatives must be enjoyed this dish very much!

    ReplyDelete
  26. You are amazingly creative!
    And I really don't know how you have the energy to do all these cooking, baking, blogging and answering readers' questions with 3 kids :)
    I need to learn from you!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wendy , can you give me the link to SS round up of this contest? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  28. QP,
    wow, then I hope to see u blog about it


    Reinnie,
    Wow, tat's a very generous comment.
    Thanks!


    Ellena,
    Thanks


    Elin,
    Not yet ler.. I think on 12th Dec. Today is the last day for submission. But I know that one blogger submitted 5 entries.


    Lite home Bake,
    Thanks


    umieaisyah,
    Oh yes, I'm very proud to be a Perakian and prouder even of Kampar. LOL.



    yummylittlecook,
    thanks



    Jeannie,
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  29. Fong,
    It taste pretty "ching" and somehow, perfect for my guests. Ham isn't red enough... that's the problem loo, I have ham in the freezer though.
    Yeah, if for me, I won't do the tofu, instead just do pork belly parcels, hahahaha!


    Shu Han,
    Oh no la.. I think I have always been this way. I love to play around with food. Later la, u'll see more homey stuff.


    Sue,
    glad they all turned out great!
    It'll be greater to get a feedback on the recipes on the related blog posts too!



    Ah Tze,
    oh yes, they loved this


    Happy flour,
    thank you


    YM,
    My kids are pretty independant.. I don't "looooook" at them all the time, just be around.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Woh, very impressive & good ideal for banquet dish.

    ReplyDelete
  31. wow, superb idea! you can make this as a christmas 'lang poon'. i'm fascinated looking at the parcels and the overall presentation of this dish!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. you are very creative. very nice decoration.. especially the colours blended well.

    ReplyDelete
  33. You can open up a 5* restaurant.... very creative!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...