New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, December 5, 2011

Candy Cane Steamed Buns - Red Green Week #1


My girls had a blast with these. They had fun "making" them and had fun eating them.

This dough initially could yield 15 canes, but my dearies made cake, worms, balls with whatever they could grab from me. So, I only made 12 of them.
I was glad these canes didn't unfurl or looked weird after steaming.

picture's blurry, but I love this sweet look on their faces

I am submitting this to the Christmas Giveaway in
Come on and join in the fun.
Make something red /green or red + green.
Savoury or Sweet
Main Dish or Dessert


The gift maybe enticing, but try to look beyond that and challenge yourself to make something with these 2 colours. I had so much ideas in my head. But I wanted to go with the Christmas theme too, so a lot of the ideas were instead scrapped. I had so much fun making these buns. Moreover I don't have the time, not to cook but to edit pictures and do the write up. I'm having a week of red and green. What about you? A day of it will be great!



Candy Cane Steamed Buns
Recipe Created by : Wendyywy

1tsp instant yeast
125ml water
Small pinch of sugar

250gm pau flour
50gm sugar
13gm shortening
1 tsp baking powder

Green and red food colouring

1. Mix yeast with water and pinch of sugar. Stir and set it aside for 10 minutes. It should look frothy later.
2. Mix pau flour, sugar, baking powder together. Put in shortening and frothed yeast mixture. Mix together until a rough dough forms.
3. Split dough into 2, about 220gm each. Add food colouring to each part and knead until a smooth soft dough forms. Cover and let dough proof for 30 minutes.
4. Make 15gm of dough balls from each colour, you will get about 14, roughly.
5. Roll each ball into long strands, about 5-6 inches long.
6. Take one strand of green and one strand of red dough. Twist both together and form a cane. Place on a piece of greaseproof paper.
7. Repeat with all other dough strands until done.
8. Let shaped dough proof for 45 minutes (covered).
9. Steam on high heat for 12 minutes. Best served when hot, reheat by steaming if needed.







They even did a candy cane dance after eating it..... hahahaha!



The last 2 pictures were demanded to be taken. They just stood infront of me and said, take picture mom!

The candy canes were sturdy enough to be hung. So if you need some edible Christmas decorations, feel free to make some. But it's such a waste to let them gather dust than to be eaten, haha! But these will be perfect as gifts to kiddies. Better than real candy, right?


 And Macys may have coupons available for steamers.

36 comments:

  1. hi wendy,
    last nite i have just baked your Baby designer Grand , make the dragon fruit honey lemon jelly and seri muka . all are for tonite carolling party. It was delicious !I just dropped by to thank you for all your shared recipe. One question is can seri muka served cool ? cos its inside my fridge now. thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anh,
    thanks!


    Swee San,
    I heard u yell.


    wvfy,
    Let it come to room temperature (no need to reheat), if not the rice will be freaking hard due to the coconut milk

    ReplyDelete
  3. hai wendy,it's a fantastic idea for xmas.Love it.Will sure be doing this with my girl as she is always excited to wait for uncles and unties from oversea to return home for xmas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wendy...this is fantastic...only you can think of this ! LOL! Perfect for the coming festive. Swee San pening kepala now ! Your gals look sweet. This is the best time of their years...carefree and not a worry in their lives :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a beautiful bun cum candy! You can even hang this up in the Christmas tree as ornaments!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello Wendy...your little child so cute

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh...so cute. Everyone will fall in love with it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. these canes are so cute! i also wanted to make a red-white version using baked breads to enter swee san's giveaway but i don't have time sigh. but at least now I know it can be done and it won't unfurl hehe.

    ps: your two girls are adorable :) i can just imagine them going mommy take picture hee

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so fun! I am so impressed with the way you've twisted the dough, so neat and even!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pn Ros,
    Ur girl will love making these... it's fun!


    Elin,
    Hmm... Make for Sunday School party?
    SS pening meh? better send her some panadol, haha.


    Mel,
    very sayang lor... better eat them up


    Cendana kasih,
    Haha... wait til u see them being naughty


    Poh Lin,
    and that includes u right? LOL


    Janine,
    Oh yes, won't unfurl. Phew!
    They are so seasoned in front of camera now, they know what to do with the food and camera, pose like eating, hahaha!


    Shirley,
    It's actually very easy to do, I'm sure you can have similiar results, if u're doing it too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. hey, i just cant stop grinning at these candies..oops..buns.. i mean. this is fantastic!! i would love to see how reuben holds this!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sonia,
    thanks :) u're really not joining?


    lena,
    Haha... Reuben cannot la, he'll eat these. He's very wai sek.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a sweet special bun, indeed is a Christmas candy stick lookalike. But I'm sure both your girls are much more sweeter than the buns :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. You are a one creative woman Wendy. Seriously, I envy you. Not only your creative but your end product is so neat so pretty and so mouthwatering.
    Will I be able to shape the dough to look something like yours? What I can say is, I'll give it a try and we'll see... ahaks...
    Thanks Wendy for the lovely idea....

    ReplyDelete
  15. likelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelikelike!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. yvonne,
    the girls ah... when not naughty quite sweet geh. hahaha


    Mamafami,
    thanks for the kind words, sames goes to how I envy ur buns... very pretty too! Can! I'm sure with ur artsy hands, u can do something similiar!



    chah,
    Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,Tq, Tq, Tq,

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is a good twist to the usual bun. Very festive mood too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow! really have a festive feel with your pretty candy cane buns, very attractive to kids and bloggers lol!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Heehee, love how your two cuties posing and dancing for their mummy and of course the "candy canes". :)) Cute idea...think I'll try it out too, heehee...

    ReplyDelete
  20. :) wah.... very nice ler :) love it love it love it :D

    will try to do this. :) going to get myself pau flour tomorrow :) by the way, shortening can i replace with butter? pls advice.

    i love your kids :) they so cute :) i have 2 princess too :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. oooo its so cute......brilliant idea

    ReplyDelete
  22. fong,
    Yeah, twisted, LOL


    none (Jeannie),
    Oh why did u change ur name?


    Bee,
    Good, I hope ur girls dances for u too!


    Jes,
    thanks!


    Sunflowerzzz,
    Yes, no prob with butter.


    Small kucing,
    Thanks ;)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Aiyo, lovely buns.....can use for Xmas deco also....lol!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh wendy, your girls are so cute! No doubt, they loves everything from mom's kitchen :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. That was a very creative X'mas cane, Wendy! I wondered how you can get it in such a nice shape! I love your girls, they are really so adorable, and love to take pictures. I wished my children will let me take pictures of them often!

    ReplyDelete
  26. pete,
    2 in 1, good ma.


    fitri,
    Thanks, they don't love everything, but so far they definitely love my steamed buns of any sort.


    Passionate abt Baking,
    It's not hard, roll on a flat surface rather than rolling between ur hands. Last time when I roll between my hands, any rolls will look uneven, but when I started to roll on a surface, they looked much better.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am amazed by the this Christmas Candy Stick bun. It is so nice and attractive.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have some balance pau flour from my mooncake making. Not sure if I can find time to make this but I really want to. This eczema is killing my baking/cooking/blogging mood. And obviously, I'll prefer my kids to munch on this candy cane than the real thing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Wendy, love your cane bun but I love the happy faces of your kiddies more!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wow! Amazing! Something i can finally do for the old folks at home!

    Can these keep for 2 days? in fridge or in room temp, im afraid it will harden

    Gene: smudgedcircles@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. Gene,
    these will harden defintely when left at room temperature for some time, always steam it again when it's time to serve for best texture.
    It can be kept at room temperature (remaining soft for 12 hours) for up to 2 days or chilled in fridge for 1-2 weeks (before the mold gets to them) or frozen until it gets spoiled.

    ReplyDelete
  32. hi wendy so sweet of u god has given u a nice and beautiful kidss

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...