New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, December 16, 2011

Devilled Pears with Pistachio Cream - Pear Week #3




On my quest searching for information on the pistachio cream used in Montebello, I came across this beautiful picture of a pear, filled with cream. AMAZING!!!

I had extra pistachio cream from my Montebello Torte, and I happened to have red anjou pears in my fridge. That is the best coincidence ever because I rarely rarely buy anjou pears. Actually I rarely buy non Asian pears and HATE Packham pears, the most common ones available here. The only time I ate the most pears, non Asian ones to be exact was when I was pregs with Lydia. I became a fruitarian for 7 weeks. The mouth won't accept anything besides fruit. I won't want to bite, nor want to chew or swallow anything else but fruit. I suffered from bad constipation due to hormonal changes and it's my body's way of helping me by turning fruitarian. But still the constipation was still bad. Disgusted? Don't be. It's common during pregnancies and I'm not the only one. I didn't choose to constipate nor did I choose to turn fruitarian, my body.. it's my body.

Why did I eat so much pears? Well, basically I had a lot lot of fruit. One dinner will consist of 5 servings of fruits, at least. If not, how can I be full? One day I eat a lot lot of fruits. And my doctor told me papaya, watermelon, pineapple and grapes are No-No for the first trimester. And apples and pears are the most filling ones.. besides banana of course and I'm not supposed to eat so much durian. And it was just around this time..... when pears and apples of all sorts are abundant. My husband wasn't around and I went through my first 6 months of pregnancy, pretty much alone. I dropped 7 kg during this 7 weeks. When I was 14 weeks, suddenly I wanted to eat Sweet Sour Pork rice for dinner, and from then onwards, my appetite went back almost normal. Yeah, almost because I still can't take roasted pork and brown rice, and weirdly KFC.


And few weeks back, I was reminded of Devilled eggs, saw on Feats of Feasts. So, let's call these pears, devilled pears... they do look like eggs, right? hahaha!

This dessert is to be eaten with fork and knives..... not a spoon.




Devilled Pears with Pistachio Cream
Recipe created by: Wendyywy
Inspired by: Rawmazing

6-8 Red Anjou Pears
1 Tbsp lemon juice
4 mint leaves, finely snipped.
Pistachio Cream
Mint leaves for garnish
Nut nibs for sprinkling (any nut)

1. Mix lemon juice with mint leaves.
2. Half pears and remove the core with a melon baller.
3. Thinly apply the minted lemon juice to the cut surface to prevent the pears from browning.
4. Fill the "crater" with pistachio cream and garnish with mint and nut nibs

Pistachio Cream
2 egg yolks
100gm whipping cream
50gm pistachio (lightly toasted until fragrant)
25gm sugar
10gm cornstarch
1 drop green food colouring

200gm whipping cream
2 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp gelatin
1 Tbsp water

1. Mill pistachio with sugar and cornstarch to get a finer texture.
2. Prepare pistachio pastry cream. Mix yolks with cream, and on low heat until it turns slightly warm, put in powdered pistachios and cook until it begins to thickens.(if using heavy based pot, stop when it starts to thicken. If regular stainless steel pots, cook until it thickens. When you stir, the whisk leaves trails that you can see the base of the pot). Put into a bowl, let it cool down, cover with cling wrap and chill.
3. Put ceramic/glass mixing bowl into freezer. (If using stainless steel, skip this and place bowl in a ice water bath only.
4. Place water in a small heat proof bowl. Sprinkle gelatin over and let it sit for 1 minute. Melt it either over hot water bath or in the microwave. Let the mixture cool down, it won’t take long.
5. Remove mixing bowl from freezer and put in whipping cream. Beat until streaks start to show and put in sugar and beat until soft peaks. Put in gelatin mixture and beat until stiff.
6. Remove cold pistachio pastry cream from fridge.
7. Put a few Tbsp of the whipped cream into the pastry cream, fold to lighten it. Repeat with a few more Tbsp of whipped cream.
8. Pour the pastry cream into the whipped cream and fold until incorporated.
9. Use the pistachio cream immediately or keep chilled before filling

17 comments:

  1. I love your photographs very much. ... That close up shots are making me to grab food from the screen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh! I love the pistachio cream, it great to have this for an afternoon snack. Yum...yum...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard of Devilled eggs but it's my first time encounter Devilled pears :O

    The combination of red-skin pear and green pistachio cream colors is very much a Christmas-y feel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. 哇!又一杰作。
    我好奇,请问您是不是一位厨师?
    不然您如何能制作及烹饪如此多样化的料理及甜品呢!
    真羡慕您有一双巧妙灵活的玉手。。。

    ReplyDelete
  5. very special pear with cream, i have never use pear in cooking, just eat it straight away, hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  6. first time for me to see the pear in red skin. As usual, lovely clicks :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. i'm actually drooling over the pistachio cream and the nuts filling!! but it looks very appealing sitting on the pear!

    ReplyDelete
  8. So creative of you! They do look like devil eggs. I am not a fan of pears. Weird right. Now since we have an Asian pear tree at our new house who gives lots of fruits I guess I have to learn to like it :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a brilliant idea! pistachio n pear.....im sure it'll taste really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful! I love the color contrast of the pears and the pistachio cream! Must be really delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wendy, you are so a such a creative mom! you must be a queen for your family members :) this is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow Wendy, this looks fabulous! must be yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. what a beautiful pear! such a great idea to devil pears instead of your usual eggs! I may keep this in mind for other fruits! wah, now i'm starting to fantasize all the different types of fruits I can do this to!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wendy, you're so creative! I wish my market here sells more variety of fruits. So bored with the usuals :(

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, boy! This looks so good. I have a big tub of Pistachio cream and I have been looking for recipes to use it up. This is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love for food,
    LOL.. help yourself with it ;)


    Happy Flour,
    Hahaha, oh yes, we had these for 2 afternoons straight, perfect tea time snacks!



    yvonne,
    Actually I also wanted to submit these to Swee San's event, but tarik diri from submitting too much, hahaha!


    “追食富迪”,
    I am just a home maker that loves to cook and bake. I learn a lot from surfing... a lot. I get inspiration looking at other's recipes or from personal experience. I'm a restaurant's worse fear, I always try to figure out their dishes, hahaha!


    Sonia,
    oh no, this is not cooked. Almost eaten straightaway too, that is after filling with the cream.


    Ah Tze,
    If Malaysia has this, I'm sure Singapore has it.
    Sometimes even Barlett comes in red.



    lena,
    don't be drooling.. u're too far for me to pass a tissue :)


    Gert,
    oh no.. I didn't come up with this.
    I was inspired by Rawmazing.
    I love Asian pears, except duck pears.


    Sharon,
    Oh yes, surprisingly delicious!
    They pair up really well


    Jeannie,
    Very delicious!


    fitri,
    either queen or witch, hahahah! they must eat whatever I cook for them.



    Alice,
    Very yummy!


    Shu Han,
    Let me know if you've tried this with other fruits :)


    babe_kl,
    Jusco my dear :)
    KL sure got Jusco gua...
    I love going to Tesco for more special fruits, Tesco is more daring to bring in new varieties.



    Shirley,
    I hope you love this!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These are beautiful!! And what an awesome idea, I've never seen anything like this before, but it sounds delicious. I will have to try this(or something like this) for sure!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...