Friday, March 15, 2013
Remember I made apple butter some time ago?
The only person who enjoyed this spread was Lydia and I, the rest all went uuurrghhhh because of the cinnamon.
I still had some apple butter left and when I saw this recipe, I just gave it a go since some Aussie relatives will be here. They are used to eating cinnamony stuff since they have been there for decades. It'll be a good chance to make these since the others didn't like this spread. The relatives enjoyed the buns and I'm happy!
I included the filling recipe from the book, just incase you need it. In my case, I used apple butter.
Apple Almond Buns
Recipe source: Famous Delights by One Publisher
400gm high protein flour
100gm plain flour
11gm instant yeast
250gm fresh milk
Egg for glazing
Almond slices for topping
1. Mix well all the dry ingredients. Combine milk and egg and pour this into the dry ingredients. Knead it until it form a dough that leaves the side of the dough. Then put in butter and knead it until , smooth and stretchy. (total time: 20 minutes on KA speed 4/10)
2. Cover and let dough proof for half an hour.
3. Divide dough into 50gm portions (you will get around 20-21 pcs). Roll them into balls and leave them to rest for 15 minutes.
4. Roll each ball flat and make a slit in the middle. Turn one end in the slit. Do a total of 2 turn ins for each piece of dough.
5. Place formed dough onto a lined baking tray and let them proof until double in bulk.
6. Brush on egg glaze and squeeze some apple fillings in the middle. Top with almond slices.
7. Preheat oven at 160(fan)/180C and bake them for 13-15 minutes.
1 1/2 Tbsp Lime juice
1 Tbsp corn flour + 3 Tbsp water
Peel and dice apples, cook with sugar, water and lime juice until the apples soften. Blend to a fine puree. cook it further to reduce liquid, lastly add in butter and thicken with cornstarch mixture.