Wednesday, September 11, 2013
A pie... how is it a pie? hmmm.
A coconut crust, apricot filling and covered with almonds? LOL. Don't ask me.
This is another recipe from my "good to see only" cookbook. I took the idea, and ditched all the liquids in the recipe, added in lime zest to boost the coconut and apricot, and changed whatever I think is the better way. The result was perfect for me. I wonder what will happen with that extra 1 cup of milk in this. It'll look like baked oatmeal I guess. It's already so moist now.... it will crumble if the golden base is not formed properly
My kids didn't take this pie well, but for me, I super dee duper loved it. Baked buttery coconut is always the better choice for me, and when there's lime and apricots , it became the winner. My first seating, I ate 1/4 of it. I told myself, STOP IT! I gained my consciousness and then quickly put it away from my sight. And each morning, I gleefully reheated it for breakfast. 1/6 of the pie at a time. LOL. It's just a 7 inch pie!
If you don't want to use apricots, I think ripe pineapple will be nice too. Banana too! Yumz. But if you don't like coconut, think twice before you want to try this. It's loaded with it. Every bite is moist tender delicious coconut.
Oh yes, the dark brown crust is the best part!
Quick Apricot Coconut Pie
Adapted with major modifications by WendyinKK
Original idea from Golden Book of Desserts
Coconut Pie Base
200gm fresh grated coconut,or frozen
1 tsp lime zest
35gm plain flour
65gm butter, melted
1 cup chopped fresh apricots
1/2 tsp lime zest
50gm almond flakes
1. Prepare a 7 inch pie plate. Grease it generously. Preheat oven at 200C.
2. Prepare pie base. Mix coconut, sugar, lime zest and plain flour together. Mix melted butter with eggs and pour this into the coconut mixture. Mix everything together.
3. Pour 2/3 of the coconut batter into the pie plate. Level it.
4. With remaining 1/3 batter , mix in apricots. Dollop this over the coconut batter in pan and level it.
5. Sprinkle almonds over. Rub sugar with lime zest and sprinkle the sugar over the almonds.
6. Bake on the lowest rack for 40minutes or until done.