New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, January 4, 2010

Fried Beef Noodles 炒牛肉面


A recreation of what I’ve tasted in Tong Kee in Kampar. But not the current Tong Kee.. the old one. My mom said, my late dad used to eat this with her when they were dating.




I’ve added a pinch of baking soda to the beef to tenderize it. And the beef has to be marinated overnight to dry it up, so that it won’t release juices when it’s being cooked.
This can’t be cooked with the methods we see the restaurants use, because the heat from our burners are no match to theirs. Our beef must be browned in advance to achieve full flavour, and removed to prevent it from overcooking.


150gm beef
2 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 tsp sugar
Pinch of baking soda
1 Tbsp corn starch
1 Tbsp sesame oil

3 Tbsp oil
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
400gm yellow noodles (mi kuning), loosen and snip shorter before use. Don’t let them clump together. Ramen will work fine here as well. Just need to blanch it before use.
3 Tbsp dark soy sauce (depends on how dark ur dark soy is, I used Lee Kum Kee)*
2 Tbsp light soy sauce ( u might need more, I don't recommend salt here)
1 Tbsp sugar (U may adjust the light and dark soy sauce amounts, but this amount of sugar is vital to the final taste)
1 cup water
3 stalks or more choy sum (mustard green), cut into 2 inch lengths

Marinate beef in following sequence, mixing well after each addition, and leave it overnight in the fridge.
1. Baking soda
2. Soya sauce +sugar
3. Cornstarch
4. Sesame oil
Remove from fridge an hour before cooking time. Let it come to room temperature and separate meat pieces , don’t let them clump together.

Cooking:
1. Heat wok until very hot. Put in 3 Tbsp oil and make sure the whole of wok is smeared with the hot oil. Don’t forget the spatula must be heated in the oil too.
2. Put in marinated beef and stir fry until fragrant and browned. It should only take 30 seconds.
3. Remove beef and set aside.
4. Put in 2 Tbsp oil and put in garlic. When garlic is fragrant, put in yellow noodles and stir fry for a while.
5. Put in choy sum and mix. Put the beef back into the wok and put in water and seasonings.Taste, if it is slightly undersalted, it's just nice, cos the water will reduce later and by then it will be just right.
6. Cook until water has half dried up. Dish up and serve.

This whole cooking process is less than 5 minutes.
* If you are using dark caramel sauce, you will need about 1 Tbsp, and jack up the light soy sauce.


19 comments:

  1. Wow, this looks really yummy! Now that you've taught me how to mimic the wok hei, I am all worked up to try out more savoury stuff e.g. fried rice, char keuy teow... etc...

    Hey, also notice you work very late at night huh? Eh, don't sacrifice your beauty sleep to leave comments for me, ok? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really like the dish..definitely will try ur recipe later..and i know it delicious..nyum nyum.. :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I love this with lots of pickled green chillies........ this looks so good !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shirley: DOn't worry abt me sleeping late:)
    I wake up late, so it's ok.

    Zeta: Let me know how it goes!!

    AFTH: yeah, green chillies with this will be fabulous!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I thought it was yee mee until I saw the ingredients. It does look like the one cook in restaurant leh!! So mouth watering.
    I didn't know baking soda could be used to marinate. is there any reason behind it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks so appetitising! I'm craving for a plate now.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks AMAZING! You're very detailed in your explanation :) Good for us!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These noodles look DELICIOUS!! I'm bookmarking this one ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Memoria,
    When u've tried it out, let me know the outcome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dish looks delicious. I would like to cook this dish, but i just have a question about the noodle...do u boil the noodle first before frying?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sue,
    Nope, I just used right from the pack.
    If u blanch it first, it'll be softer and stickier, which makes it more difficult to fry.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hai Wendy

    This morning i made this

    I use spaghetty instead of noodles.

    n indeed it is delicious, one keeper recipe again from u ^____^

    http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/182284_1845653737918_1137880303_2715448_3500631_n.jpg

    thx alot wendy :*

    Love Regards
    Chuany

    ReplyDelete
  13. Chuany,
    Thank you for the feedback picture.
    Oh it looks delicious!
    Glad you liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Chuany,
    I forgot to tell you, if you are using spaghetti to do it, maybe you'd like to add some cornstarch mixture to thicken the sauce as spaghetti doesn't release any starch into the gravy unlike Ramen and yellow noodles. This way, your spaghetti will taste smoother

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Wendy, this is my first time at u'r blog but definitely wont be my last .. i'm going to try these beef noodles out real soon. I'm off to check out the rest of u'r blog.

    ReplyDelete
  16. hi wendy,
    your blog is an excellent source of asian food recipe. thank you for sharing them to us. i saw your post on "apam beras eno" and i would like to try making it. i live in new zealand now and i'm not sure where to find eno powder and fermented wine yeast. is there any substitute for these two ingredients that you can recommend? thanks a lot! =)

    oni

    ReplyDelete
  17. oni,
    I shall repost your comment at the relevant post, and I shall answer u there

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have tried this 8 years ago. Since then, this fried beef noodle have been a monthly staple at my household. 2 of my kids are married and have moved out. Even they will come over whenever I planned to cook this. I used to cook with additional cili padi when frying the garlic. Now I do without cili padi because my grandkids love this too. This dish is lovingly known as "mee goreng sedap" in my family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...