New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, January 14, 2013

Red Cooked Duck with Kumquats - Kumquat #1



I'm doing another kumquat series this year. I love kumquats :)
Whenever I see kumquats, I think of Chinese New Year

But I'm not going to do desserts but more towards dishes.
This dish shall be my first.

Few months back I picked some kumquats from my tree and cooked pork ribs with it and it was delicious. And when I saw this recipe, it was a must try for me!



I was actually planning to use chicken. There are only 2 adults dining here nowadays and we can't finish up 1 duck. Cooking half a duck needs storage space for the other half. Since I was trying to clear my freezer now in anticipation for CNY, it's not a good idea to buy more duck. And luck was on my side when my SIL's inlaws asked me if I want any free range duck! I jumped at the offer and said, yes please, half a duck!

I made some changes to this recipe due to the availability of ingredients. I can't get haw powder, I used haw flakes. No red cook sauce, I made the seasoning for this dish from scratch with basic ingredients.

After cooking the dish, I took some up and packed it for my SIL's inlaws. They told me, the duck was very fragrant and nice. And the mother in law wants to replicate it.

In our opinion, the kumquat really helped to flavour the duck very well and masking it's gamey smell. My hubby and I really liked it and I hope you'll like it too


Red Cooked Duck with Kumquats
Recipe by: WendyinKK

600gm duck, chopped into small pieces
1/2 Tbsp sugar
1 inch ginger, thinly sliced
2 stalks of green onions (white parts), sectioned
1 star anise
2 inches cinnamon stick
3 tubes of haw flakes
2 soup spoon of Shaoxing wine
2 soup spoon of Light soy sauce
1/8 tsp salt or as needed
10 kumquats
*1 soup spoon=20ml

1. Boil a pot of water and blanch duck pieces for 30 seconds. Drain.
2. Put blanched duck into wok and let it cook on medium heat until oil starts to ooze from the duck skin.
3. Put in ginger, spring onions, star anise and cinnamon stick. Gently toss everything around and let it cook until some parts of the meat start to brown.
4. Put in enough water to cover the duck. Put in wine, sugar, soy sauce and haw flakes. Bring it back to a boil and lower to simmer. Cover and let it cook for 30 minutes.
5. Meanwhile half kumquats horizontally and remove the seeds with a toothpick.
6. After the duck has past 30 minutes, put in the kumquat halves and let it simmer for another 30 minutes.
7. Reduce gravy and let it caramelize a bit (if not it won't be red cooked, hehehehe), adjust taste with more salt and sugar if needed.


I am submitting this post to Chinese New Year Delights 2013 hosted by Sonia aka Nasi Lemak Lover

16 comments:

  1. Haw flakes!! Haha! I never knew can cook with haw flakes. Looks delicious! Aiyoh....mention CNY i so scared to think about what to prepare.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My husband always said duck very hard to cook..look at your duck meat here oh no cannot tahan leh...I must try to cook this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Wendy,
    The word "kum quat" immediately catch my eyes...and so am I...I loves kumquats! This dish looks really very delicious with that kumquat citrus taste! Loves to give this a try one day. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks super delicious! I wasn't a duck fan until recently but like you, buying one duck would be a lot. Also no space in freezer. But will try when opportunity arise :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wendy, you think beef chunks will work with this recipe? I love kumquat too ya! Slurp!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sharon,
    Just make some jellies and buttercakes. No one will blame you la.


    Jes,
    Duck is not hard to cook leh.. hahaha.. but not much to eat only



    Mel,
    More to come this week, heheheh



    Phong Hong,
    If other times, I don't mind storing the other half, just not now



    Bee,
    I think will work just as good! MEat is just as tough and red meats too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bee,
    Oh yeah, if you want to use beef, then you must brown the meat with some oil...because no additional oil is used in this recipe

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Wendy, I never know kumquats can be used this way. This dish must be really yummy [sourish/sweet] but same as you my family is to small to finish the whole duck. Can I substitute with chicken or meaty pork ribs?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Instead of using haw flakes can we substitute with the hawthorn fruit itself? The fruit is sourish so I guess you may need to add sugar as well..?

    ReplyDelete
  11. TQ, now no need to think of new recipe for duck (for CNY). I think it was good choice to use Duck with Kumquats, sort of western style of their popular Duck with orange.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wendy! I have never tried using kumquat in a savoury dish... hmmm interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds delicious with the kumquats and haw flakes. Never cooked with these ingredients before, but I definitely have to try it one day. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am not a fan of duck meat because of the smell....this would be delicious if really can musk it! Love kumquats too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The dish looks good!
    Does your kumquat have fruit all year round?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lilly,
    I have a tree and there's no season for it.
    But those that I am using for the week's recipes are all store bought, imported from China available from Dec-Feb only

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...