New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Seaweed Beancurd Rolls with Ginger Sauce


This recipe caught my eye because I had extra seaweed from my Sushi dinner. I can’t finish the whole pack.

My first time doing real vegetarian stuff. Actually this is called mock fish. But I prefer to call this in its real state. For the first time, something in a local Chinese publication worked for me!!! Right up to the sauce.

Although the original recipe called for black vinegar and I don’t have that, I used Worcestershire which is sour as well. And it did just fine. I added the cornstarch solution at the end because I find the sauce too liquidy. The sauce is really good. Fragrantly ginger, but without the heat on your tongue. Light hint of sourness…just nice. Mother in law said she’ll use the sauce for real fish 

Actually, I only did half of the recipe in the book because the original called for 6 Tbsp of ginger juice. That’s really a lot. So I tried halving everything and see how much gravy I’ve got, and it was just nice. Well, I only doused 60% of the rolls in sauce, cos I left out the ends and some loosely wrapped ones to munch on cos they weren’t that pretty and can’t stand up straight on the plate. So, I f u want to sauce up all the rolls, use the full recipe.


What u will need
3 pieces of Seaweed sheets
Large beancurd sheet (this is pliable even when dry, not the totally dry type. I bought this at a sundry shop. I saw this at Jusco too. Tesco may have this)
cut into pieces slightly bigger than seaweed sheets. 1 large beancurd sheet can make 6 smaller pieces.
9 pieces of soft bean skin rolls (dou bao, 豆包),
Not to be washed, squeezed to remove excess water and marinated with 1 egg, ½ tsp salt, dash of pepper, 1/2 tsp sugar and 1 tsp milk powder. If vegan, omit the egg and milk powder and replace with 1 tsp cornstarch as binding agent.
Edible Glue,
½ Tbsp tapioca starch mixed with 2 tsp water. Bring 80ml water to a boil. Pour boiling water over starch. Mix and u will have edible glue.

How to roll??
1. Lay 1 piece of cut up beancurd sheet and brush all over with glue.
2. Paste seaweed sheet.
3. Arrange 3 pieces of marinated soft bean skin rolls onto seaweed.
4. Roll up tight and apply more glue on ends before finishing up the rolling.
5. Steam on medium heat for 5 minutes and reduce to low heat for 15 minutes. Leave to cool down before cutting up. (You can do until this step, one day in advance and chill in fridge.)
6. Cut rolls into inch long pieces and trim the ends.
7. Deep fry in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper.
8. Arrange rolls on plate and prepare sauce. Pour sauce over and serve.


Ginger Sauce (full recipe)
6 Tbsp pure ginger juice
4 Tbsp sugar (Yes, u need this amount to tone down the heat of the ginger, but still leaving the ginger very fragrant)
2 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce
2 Tbsp light soy sauce
1 Tbsp sesame oil (original recipe was 2 Tbsp, but to me that seems too much. I used only this amount and it was just nice for me, but if you're using blended sesame oils like Ghee Hiang blue label or Deer brand, use the original amount)
1 tsp cornstarch mixed with 2 Tbsp water
1 Tbsp cooking oil
Mix together everything except cornstarch solution and cooking oil. Heat pan/wok and put in oil. Pour prepared sauce mixture into wok and bring to a boil. Lightly thicken with cornstarch solution.
Pour sauce over beancurd rolls.

23 comments:

  1. mmmmmm deliciouso.........ahahahah

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so restaurant like.... I like the presentation , make you want to eat all up

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...it doesn't look homemade at all...and why u always make it seems so easy?...me so envious...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Manglish,
    Sodeska. Thank you thankyou.

    ReplyDelete
  5. AFTH,
    Hahaha, not easy to eat up everything lor..
    Quite filling one leh

    ReplyDelete
  6. Mel,
    Really, this is not difficult to do.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Je découvre ton blog.
    Bonnes recettes.
    See soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will bookmark this and make sure I make it one of these days. Reason is my MIL eats vegetarian several times a month, so this would be a great recipe to make for her to enjoy. ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Nadji,
    Although I do not understand, I still appreciate your comment.
    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Honey Bee Sweets,
    Sure, please let me know how it turned out. Really would love to know.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh wow, great post and wonderful recipe! This sounds like 100% vegetarian! Love it.Hope to try out soon. Thanks for sharing, Wendy!
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wendy, beancurd is my favourite lei, i love this dish, yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This dish look exactly like the one I had in a vegetarian restaurant. I am bookmarking this to try out once I gather all the ingredients. By the way what is soft bean skin rolls. Is it the dry kind that I can get from the asian store or it comes soft like you show in the picture?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristy,
    Yeah it's 100% chinese style vegetarian. For Hindus, just omit the egg and and vegans please omit the egg and milk powder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Bakericious,
    Try it out, it's nice. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. ICook4Fun,
    It's not the dry type. Even if you try to reconstitute it from the dry kind, it will not be the same. This is fresh bean curd skin folded small.
    It is easily available here at shops that sell health food and vegetarian ingredients. I'm not sure about Pensylvania.

    ReplyDelete
  17. look quite easy to make this stuff.

    you are full time mummy right if i am not wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Voon,
    No need to always guess where I learn my cooking skills or whether I work or not.
    All the answer you need is in my "About"

    You are so lazy la. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Look easy and yummy. Would like to try it some day.

    ReplyDelete
  20. At first I thought fish paste is in between, finally realise it that it is soft beancurd. You rolled it nicely and looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. DG,
    It's not soft beancurd. It's Soft beansurd SKIN. It's a fresh beancurd skin that is sually sold frozen at vegetarian supplies shop.

    ReplyDelete
  22. er... why u spot that i am lazy ...hehhehe u clever... cannot hide anything from u.

    but i click about, there is not mention whether u work or not leh? tipu aku ke?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Dear Wendy

    I tried this recipe yesterday.

    Your step-by-step graphical illustration made it so much easier for me to follow.

    Easy and delicious dish!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...