New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Dulce De Leche Coconut Macaroons



I've forgotten where I got this recipe. I copied the wrong link when I typed out the basic recipe into my MS word. And thank you Quinn for highlighting to me that these are not Macarons, but Macaroons. One "o" different but it made a hell of a difference, as Macarons are those round cute things like a sweet burger that Tartelette is famous for and macaroons are these.

I had some balance from my DDL cake and made this macaroons. They smell so lovely when fresh from the oven, smell like those CNY egg rolls (kuih kapit) and crunchy. But one thing, they soften and gets really chewy quite easily when exposed to the air, so please store them into an air tight container.
If they do soften, just reheat them in the oven :)

Recipe:
30gm egg white (1 egg white)
Pinch of cream of tartar
100gm dulce de leche
½ tsp vanilla extract
200gm angel flakes /sweetened coconut flakes

1. Preheat oven to 160/180C. Line baking sheets with either silicone liners or non stick baking paper.
2. Mix the coconut flakes with dulce de leche and vanilla.
3. Beat egg whites with cream of tartar until stiff. Gently fold them in to the coconut mixture.
4. Place heaped teaspoonsful of coconut mixture onto baking sheet.
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until sides of macarons are brown and crisp.
6. Let cool for 10 minutes. (I do this in the oven, door ajar, so that the heat of the oven will further dry it up. And I did it for 30 minutes)


I found that the egg white content was a bit too little. All went deflated when I folded in with the coconut. Maybe you would like another egg white to it.

And another DDL cake that neighbour Maria ordered..... remember I said that she did after tasting my 1st DDL cake???

18 comments:

  1. Wow, doing business at the same time as well huh! The macaroons look pretty tempting. I can imagine the aroma of these tiny little devils and how are they going to work out my body. I don't care I just want to stuff them all in my mouth right away! haha.... Enjoy your weekend, dear!
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristy,
    Haiyor, took you so long to know I'm taking orders ah? I guess you don't really read thru the posts :) Kekeke, bocor rahsia.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jess,
    Ya, very crunchy.. but better keep them air tight or they won't stay crunchy for long.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very beautiful cake! I love dulce de leche, so I must try your cookie recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look yummy. Just in case you don't knwo and just to share. These are called Macaroons and is indeed different from Macarons. Macarons looks like this .I am absolutely in love with the last photo, your frosting skill is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can imagine the sweet nutty smell that comes out of the oven when you bake these. What a great idea in replacing the condensed milk with DDL. I am sure my husband is going to love these. Thanks Wendy for the idea.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm...the macaron and the DDL cake looks really good!
    By the way, I plan to make a fruity oats for tomorrow's breakfast, hehe...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Angie,
    Please let me know and link it here so that I may know.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Quinn,
    thanks for highlighting.
    I really didn't know.
    I'll make the changes, but I can't change tastespotting and foodgawker :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. ICook4fun,
    Haha, as always anything with DDL is interesting to Carlos :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Little Inbox,
    Thanks. Hey, let me know how the oatmeal went.
    ok!

    ReplyDelete
  12. waaa ur cake looks wonderful leh...drooling hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  13. how ever you want to spell them they look great!!! what a wonderful concept, and your DDL cake is perfect!
    Congrats on hitting that big number!
    Cheers
    Dennis

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Wendy... I have been busy but still reading your blog! :D
    Your cake looked absolutely delicious... *drool*

    One day... one day... I hope I can take orders like you... ONE DAYYYYYY...

    ReplyDelete
  15. may know what is angle flake? just norma corn flake or ..............

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous,
    As said in the recipe angel flakes is the glamourous name for "sweetened coconut flakes".

    It's a lot more expensive than dessicated coconut. You can buy this in bakery supplies stores. Supermarkets won't carry this unless you go to places like Jaya Grocer or Village Grocer, but.. it cost double or triple at these places because they sell it "branded" and not generic, and yesterday I saw them at about RM16-20 per small pack (like choc chips packing). Bakery supplies store will sell these a lot lot cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Belin ..macaroons ! Dulce de leche morango dalla..Bernarda.
    Morando

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...