New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, March 23, 2012

Pecan Sticky Buns - Cinnful rolls # 3



Sticky buns is glazed on the bottom instead on the top. Then turned over after baking to let the caramel soak into the buns. As the name implies, it is sticky. And what makes it sticky? Sugar.

If it's not sticky, then it's not sticky buns. Just like eating assam laksa that is not hot and sour, where's the kick? Or drinking beer that taste like water, yucks!


If you think these buns are super super sweet.. let me do some comparison for you. Less sweet than Snickers or Mars.  It doesn't burn your throat like how Snickers or Mars burns mine, which is why I hate them. Eating one piece in the morning and let the day burn off the sugar, just don't supper with it. Moderation is the key. Control your intake and indulge, not everyday, but once a while is ok. (diabetics, don't listen to me, not even once a while ok.) But then again, if you were to calculate the total sugar amount, and the butter, it's actually less than what you would find in a butter cake of similiar size. Much less.





The process.....

Pecan Sticky Buns
Recipe halved with modifications from  Epicurious
Measurements converted to metric and method rewritten based on own experience by Wendyinkk

Dough
125ml warm water
2 tsp yeast
50gm sugar
60gm butter
2 Tbsp Milk powder (I used full cream)
½ tsp salt
1 egg
2 cups flour (300gm all purpose 9.8% protein)

Sticky glaze
100gm light brown sugar (I used 80gm white, 20gm dark brown)
85gm butter (I used salted, I prefer a slightly salty caramel)
30gm honey
30gm golden syrup (original was dark corn syrup)
2 Tbsp water (I forgot to put water, and it still turned out ok)
1 tsp vanilla extract (I added this myself)
100gm pecan, coarsely chopped

Cinnamon sugar
2 tsp sugar
2 tsp cinnamon (I used 1 tsp, enough for me)

1. Combine all dough ingredients with a spoon and knead on KA speed 3 for 10 minutes (no need window pane stage). Dough will be soft and tacky(not sticky). Cover and let it proof until double (about an hour)
2. Meanwhile, chop pecans. Set aside.
3. Prepare cinnamon sugar. Mix the ingredients together and set aside.
4. Melt butter and pour it into a 9 inch round pan, swirl it around and pour the balance of butter into a bowl.
5. Mix the melted butter with brown sugar, vanilla, honey and golden syrup (and water too). Pour this mixture into the greased pan. Sprinkle the chopped pecans over.
6. When the dough has doubled, roll it out into a large rectangle. Sprinkle cinnamon sugar over and roll up. Cut into 9 pieces and arrange in pan. Cover and let it proof until puffy (about 30 minutes)
7. Preheat oven at 150(fan)/175C and bake for 30 minutes (Mine was done in 25)
8. Meanwhile prepare a large plate (big enough for the pan of bread) near the sink. When the bread has done baking, quickly bring the pan to the sink. Place the large plate over the pan of bread and immediately overturn at the sink.
9. Let bread cool to warm and serve (caution: hot sugars burn)



So, among all 3 cinnful buns... which is my favourite??? Hard to say.

But I can tell you, the softest among all 3 is this. Keeps well for a day (24 hours was the time the last piece got eaten by me), doesn't turn hard, acceptable even w/o reheating but definitely taste like fresh when zapped for 15 secs. But mouthfeel is different compared to Clone of Cinnabon as both dough uses different flour. This is fine and tender, something that not all may actually like. More like a yeasted cake than a bread. You can compare the texture pictures and decide for yourself. The dough can be used interchangeably.



Before I close this week's theme... see how the buns glisten in the sun....


21 comments:

  1. i just can say....WAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...
    i must try to make this sunday.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my!!! my waist line keep expanding!!!!
    Ytd night I baked Clone of a Cinnabon, it is very very very delicious!!!!!, and my kids left 2 pcs out of 9 for this morning breakfast....lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hody,
    Hahaha..... why u ciplak my line from ur FB?


    yummylittlecooks,
    Eat boiled vege, boiled chicken and then these buns..... LOL. Give and take :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmmm...the generous pecan topping is goooood! True, moderation is key So long long time then make once and then indulge in that once with a whole tray, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  5. all also i like but i hvnt tried sticky buns..and i like the sound of sticky caramel in these buns and so much pecans! no way we can buy these kind of buns..hooray to homemade buns!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bee,
    I seem to hear that wicked laugh all the way here.. LOL.


    Lena,
    Oh yes... Malaysia tarak. Can only make ourselves. A lot cheaper also la. If really got sell, also like RM4/pc like those in KL. Ordinary cinnamon bun only leh. Pay me RM36 for 9 pcs, eat until puuuii ah

    ReplyDelete
  7. always good food from u Wendy..luv it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wenddy, "knead on speed 3 for 10 minutes" - what kind of machine you are using?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Wendy, I looked at the bun & my 1st reaction was having my mouth opened & I kept staring at the 1st picture, yummmmm & indeed, there were so much of sugar there, hahaha! You know what, I cooked your dish, braised pork ribs with tomatoes, photos were taken but didn't manage to save it in my usb b4 my laptop was broken. I sent it for repair on Mon & has just got back my laptop but some of the files have been damaged & the photos taken on this dish have gone as well. My technician is helping me to retrieve the photos from my camera memory card & these photos have been deleted & overwrite with new photos but he told me that he may be able to save the photos, fingers cross. If you see me posted this recipe in the future, that means he is able to do it. I also lost photos taken for 5 other recipes which include cake, bread & home cookings, arghhhhhh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. So sticky and sinful!! Just look at the very generous topping. Yea can't eat this everyday. Once a while is ok.

    ReplyDelete
  11. ummiaisyah,
    thanks :)


    little angel,
    kitchen aid


    Jessie,
    Haha, it's ok. It's a simple dish for dinner, you can cook it again, LOL.
    But then again, there was once I lost 30 dishes in 2008. And, LOL, actually I didn't make most of those dishes again, weirdly.


    Gert,
    Haha.. If can I want, but maybe few times a week. Eat with teh-O kosong. The sugar from the bun overtakes the coffee's calories :p
    Actually come to think of it, the total amount of sugar is less than one butter cake.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hody,
    I Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh your drumsticks and now you Waaaaaaaaaaahhhhh my buns.
    U forgot? hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks yummy...sadly my husband dont like sweet stuff even little bit sweet also said sweet that's y I seldom make cake or else wasted my effort.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your bun make me thinking of making the cinamon rolls this week, if I've time :) The texture look so soft and tender, the last photo...killing me again :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am amazed at how fluffy that bun is! good job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Gosh ... I love this rolls... If I were to see this earlier I would have bake this instead.... LOL.... cos I just baked Cinnamon rolls again today ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Sonia,
    haha


    Jes,
    what about ur kids?


    ah Tze,
    keekeke.... I dun want to be guilty of murder


    food is our religion,
    thanks to my KA


    Abbygail,
    there's always another time for this.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hey Wendy at last I bake this and post it up .... Its really yummy ... Thank you for sharing Wendy ;)

    http://abbygailskitchen.blogspot.com/2012/04/pecan-sticky-bun.html

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...