Friday, August 17, 2012
The description that Zurin made for this dish, made me interested straight away. It was the mention of delicious scraps! I love fried chicken scraps. They are sometimes more delicious than the chicken itself, LOL. In this case, it's coconut scraps. Sounds good eh :)
I love it when she changed the cooking method to one that I will not shy away from and it's a lot healthier too. Using and wasting much less oil. The fried coconut lends a very special aroma to the chicken and it's hard to describe.
Just one rant about this dish, too much coconut, LOL. Or maybe I packed the coconut too much into the cup. Silly me. Other than that, it is absolutely delish! I maybe the only one who loved the scraps and it was too much for me to handle, alone.
Chicken Fried in Dry Coconut Sambal~ Ayam Kalasan Berseri
Cherry on a Cake, with slight adaptations
6 pieces of chicken (or 3 whole legs)
1.5cups freshly grated coconut
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1/2 cup water
1/4 cup oil
2 Tbsp coriander seeds
1 tbsp black peppercorns
Wet Paste (grind together)
2cm fresh ginger, peeled
2cm fresh turmeric, peeled
1. Lightly toast the coriander seeds in a pan until you hear some popping sounds. Transfer it to the mill together with black peppercorns and grind.
2. Place ground spices, wet paste, water, salt and sugar into a pot or wok. Mix to combine. Bring it to a boil and put in chicken pieces. Let it cook for about 10 minutes on medium heat, until the chicken looks half cooked.
3. Transfer the chicken pieces to a tray and grill at 200C for 10-15 minutes or until the skin look golden.
4. While chicken is grilling, cook the coconut mixture until almost dry and add in the oil. Let it fry until dry
5. Put chicken pieces back in and fry everything until it looks beautifully golden and dry.
Here ends my Ayam series. By the way, for those who didn't know what is Ayam, it's chicken in Malay, hence the dishes are all Malaysian and Indonesian in origin.
Selamat Hari Raya Aidil Fitri kepada semua kekawan Muslim
Happy Eid to all my Muslim readers and friends
See you on the 27th.
I need a break.