New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Saturday, March 22, 2008

Homemade Strawberry Jelly 自制草莓果冻


homemade strawberry jelly



I often order Jelly & Ice cream at KFC, besides getting some for my nieces as well. Well, kids love strawberry jelly. I'm a kid.. haha!!


There are quite a number of brands in the market, Jello, Nona, Lady's Choice.... But why don't you try making one from scratch. It's not difficult. One can be assured that no colouring or flavouring essences are added in, and it's not that much dearer than buying it in a packet.


Last week, hub's fren Kenny bought us 2kgs of strawberries, so this is the first thing that came out of it.


My nieces had a great time helping out to make their favourite dessert. I gave them table knives (can't cut themselves) and flat dinner plates to do their bit of masak-masak.






Homemade Strawberry Jelly Recipe
2 cups of Strawberries (cut into smaller chunks)
2 cups water
3/4 cup sugar
2 Tbsp lemon juice
2 Tbsp gelatine


Put strawberry chunks, sugar and water into a saucepan. Bring to a boil. Use a fork to lightly squash the fruits as it comes to a boil.
When it has boiled, let it simmer for a minute until fruits are very soft.
Take it off the fire and strain the juice.
Sprinkle gelatine into hot juice and stir to dissolve.
When gelatine has dissolved, put in lemon juice.
Let jelly mixture cool down a bit and pour into jelly moulds or cups.
(I cool it down so that my niece can do it)

into taller cups, to go with ice cream later, shorter cups, to eat it on it's own




4 comments:

  1. can I replace the gelatine with agar powder? If so how much?
    Anonymous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous,
    I'm not sure if you can achieve the same smooth texture with agar, butI always have problems with acidic fruits in high% with agar-agar.
    But u can try. For a very wobbly texture, I always go by 1g/1cup of liquid and wobbly will be 2g/1cup liquid. 1 level tsp agar is around 4gm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Wendy, why is it that sometimes recipes ask for gelatin to be dissolved in cold water and let it become like a jelly before letting it dissolve again in warm liquid? But i see a very handful that ask to straight away put the gelatin in hot liquid, like yours? Is there a difference?

    -C.Linda

    ReplyDelete
  4. C. Linda,
    It works both ways. But after all these years, I will prefer to 'bloom' my gelatin before I pour in my hot liquids.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...