I got mixed reviews from those that ate this carrot cake.... Some said it's really good..some said, it's sticky. Some said the icing was fine, special with an orange touch, some said the orange taste spoiled the cheese taste... It's like, 50-50...
This is also my first attempt at icing a cake with cream. I've never iced or frosted any cake using cream before, besides the so called royal icing of mine doing words on my bakes. So, it's pretty.... ugly..hahaha, especially the carrots, some are fatter, some slimmer...some dun even look like carrots. But the cream cheese icing is really a bit too sweet for me.. although I've reduced so so so much of the sugar..
And as for carrots... I used Australian carrots, which has a lighter hue compared to China carrots, but Australian carrots taste better. So, if you want more visible carrot strips.. use China carrots. It's your choice.
Carrot Cake recipe
500gm carrots (grated)
3 large eggs
1 big can of pineapple (about 500+ gm, gross weight, drained, pressed dry with hands, and finely chopped)
250ml corn oil
400gm fine sugar
100gm walnuts (coarsely chopped)
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Cream Cheese icing
250 gm cream cheese (I used Tatura)
100 gm butter
150gm icing sugar (Most sites use 4 cups icing sugar for this amount of cheese, but I reduced it, yet I still find it too sweet)
1/2 tsp orange oil
1. Sift together all dry ingredients except sugar and walnuts. Mix in walnuts and sugar.
2. Combine all wet ingredients.
3. Combine both wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Pour into pan and bake at 170C for 60 minutes.
1. Soften cream cheese and butter.
2. Beat cream cheese and butter on low speed for 1 minute then high speed for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add in sifted icing sugar and beat for another 1 minute.
4. Add in orange oil, mix well.