New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, March 10, 2008

Carrot Cake 红萝卜蛋糕



I got mixed reviews from those that ate this carrot cake.... Some said it's really good..some said, it's sticky. Some said the icing was fine, special with an orange touch, some said the orange taste spoiled the cheese taste... It's like, 50-50...

This is also my first attempt at icing a cake with cream. I've never iced or frosted any cake using cream before, besides the so called royal icing of mine doing words on my bakes. So, it's pretty.... ugly..hahaha, especially the carrots, some are fatter, some slimmer...some dun even look like carrots. But the cream cheese icing is really a bit too sweet for me.. although I've reduced so so so much of the sugar..

And as for carrots... I used Australian carrots, which has a lighter hue compared to China carrots, but Australian carrots taste better. So, if you want more visible carrot strips.. use China carrots. It's your choice.

Carrot Cake recipe

Ingredients:
Wet ingredients
500gm carrots (grated)
3 large eggs
1 big can of pineapple (about 500+ gm, gross weight, drained, pressed dry with hands, and finely chopped)
250ml corn oil
Dry ingredients
250gm flour
400gm fine sugar
100gm walnuts (coarsely chopped)
1/2 tsp cinnamon powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
Cream Cheese icing
250 gm cream cheese (I used Tatura)
100 gm butter
150gm icing sugar (Most sites use 4 cups icing sugar for this amount of cheese, but I reduced it, yet I still find it too sweet)
1/2 tsp orange oil


Method:
Cake
1. Sift together all dry ingredients except sugar and walnuts. Mix in walnuts and sugar.
2. Combine all wet ingredients.
3. Combine both wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
4. Pour into pan and bake at 170C for 60 minutes.
Icing
1. Soften cream cheese and butter.
2. Beat cream cheese and butter on low speed for 1 minute then high speed for 2-3 minutes.
3. Add in sifted icing sugar and beat for another 1 minute.
4. Add in orange oil, mix well.


Ugly carrots..hahahaha!!!

13 comments:

  1. Is there any way of cooking cakes, small ones, in the mocrowave cause our oven is not working and we can't be bothered to fix it. Oh by the way I love those carrots... hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never tried microwaving any cakes yet... except by combination function.

    I've checked my microwave cookbook, it does have a microwave carrot cake recipe, pretty similiar to mine. But remember to use silicon muffin pans if u wanna do it small, and don't squeeze out the carrot juices. I think my moist choc cake will be fine to be microwaved too, cos there's a lot of moisture in it. Bake ur muffin sized cakes on MED 6-8 minutes. Larger cakes will need 10-12 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes, after baking them, remember to cover loosely with plastic wrap for 5 minutes before turning out so that the cake won't dry out. Just never use metal bakeware in a microwave.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Iris,
    cut down on the sugar. It's a bit too sweet.
    250gm will be enough for our liking :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wan Yee,
    Tried this carrot cake. Absolutely love it and easy to make. Only one problem with the frosting. I used Philadephia cheese light which is available here with lemon instead. It was a bit too soft to handle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Jessica, thanks for dropping by my blog.

    Glad u liked the cake. Try chilling the frosting before using it. Did u reduce the sugar?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi I love your stuff! I was just wondering what size pan is this recipe intended for? Do you know how the ingredient proportions would look like if making for an 8in pan? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marcella,
    Thanks :)
    This recipe was done in a 9X13 pan, and it was more than 2 inch high when baked.
    8 inch pan will work fine with half the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi I'm Hallie, I tried baking the cake (withoiut the frosting) and its very wet. I baked at 180 deg. C for 45min using microwave conventional oven. Any idea how to reduce the wettness? Also, how do i proceed with the icing? Spread on the cake while its piping hot and put in fridge?
    Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hallie,
    45 minutes is definately undercooked, unless you use the combination function in your microwave convection oven. If you used regular convection, you'll need 1 hour minimum. Bake until a skewer inserted comes out clean to ensure the cake is thoroughly baked.
    Never frost a cake while hot, it'll melt the frosting. Same applies to all cakes and all frostings except melted ganache.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Wendy,
    may i know if i need to reduce the amount of sugar for the dry ingredients? Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Indestructible sone,
    For me, I'm only using 200gm currently if I'm doing this recipe. 400gm is way too much

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...