This is the 2nd thing made from Kenny's strawberries.
Found this recipe in yochana's site. Needed to use up my fresh strawberries. It'll be a pity to freeze them and they're going bad soon.
My short cake, was baked in a 8 inch round pan instead, and my cake was.. 1.5 inches tall. Kinda short.. I dunno where I went wrong, the sides of the cake was fluffy(it's unlike a sponge cake), but the centre's a bit dense as u can see in the cut up pic. But overall, it's still a very lovely cake.
I used dairy whipping cream for this, tried stabilising it with sugar, gelatine and even creamer, but yet, it's runny after a while when I was still in the midst of decorating the cake. Despite it looking ugly, still it made people oooooh when they "glanced" (not looking carefully) at it. kekekeke.
Hey, this is just my 2nd attempt at frosting a whole cake, ok..... kesian a bit here orite... Still learning to do it..
Japanese Strawberry Shortcake -whole
120 gm. cake flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
50 gm. sugar
50 gm. melted butter
50 gm. cornoil
4 egg yolks
1/2 tsp. vanilla essence
4 egg whites
65 gm. castor sugar
300 gm. whipped cream
10 strawberries (diced)
10 strawberries - thinly sliced
1 Tbsp. instant strawberry jelly + 2 Tbsp. boiling water - for glazing fruit
(1) For cake: Sieve cake flour, baking powder and 50 gm. of sugar into a bowl and mix thoroughly.
(2) Mix egg yolk, butter and cornoil together and then pour into flour mixture and stir till smooth.
(3) Whisk egg white till slightly frothy, then pour in 65 gm. sugar gradually and whisk till medium peak.
(4) Fold egg white with egg yolk mixture and then pour into a 8" Square tray and bake in preheated oven at 175C for about 45 mins. or till cooked.
(5) Leave cake to cool on wire rack and then slice cake into 3 slices.
(6) Whip up the whipping cream and then spread whipped cream onto each layer and sprinkle diced strawberries on top. Repeat till the last layer of sponge cake. Spread the cake on top with whipped cream. Arrange sliced strawberries on top overlapping one another.
(7) Mix instant strawberry jelly with boiling water then brush it over the sliced strawberries.
(8) Chill before slicing and serve.
not chilled enough....runny frosting