New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, June 17, 2013

Daffodil Cake - Bundts #1



I had been wanting to bake this cake for a long long time, almost 4 years, because I was so so drawn to the colour contrast of the cake, plus.. the usage of boiling water in the batter. Curious, simply curious to know.

I have been dragging and dragging this recipe for so long because I was waiting for the right eggs. Sometimes they are too pale, sometimes free range eggs (kampung eggs) are too orangey. I want yellow, bright yellow. And it so happened that my current tray of eggs are quite bright and I have no other bakes rushing to do, I made this for my kids.




This recipe uses quite a lot of salt, of which is crucial to offset the sweetness. I have reduced 1/3 of the sugar and still I think it might be sweet for some of you. I am not sure if any lesser of sugar will affect the batter and this cake was stable enough to be cooled upright. I changed the method for white batter slightly because I was a bit chicken to be folding all the sugar in with the flour instead of beating them in. So, I beat in part of it just to make sure the egg white is stable.




Tastewise, I found it quite eggy, but my hubby liked it this way. He said, full of egg flavour. Still a bit on the sweet side, but if you were to have this with coffee, Kopi-O to be exact, it’ll be great. This cake is a Siamese twin of angel food cake and the local bahulu. Best of both worlds : )

And oh yes, the cake slightly overflowed the pan… just a few tbsp of batter on the oven’s base.. so, take some precaution to put this on a tray to bake. I was silly and got myself more cleaning up work to do.


Daffodil Cake
Source: Omnomicon 

White batter
6 egg whites (grade B)
½ tsp salt
½ tsp cream of tartar
20+80gm sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
50gm cake flour

Yellow batter
6 egg yolks
100gm sugar
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract
75gm cake flour + 1tsp baking powder (sift together)
¼ cup very hot water

Butter for greasing
Bread flour for dusting

1. Grease and dust a bundt pan (12 cup capacity). Preheat oven at 170C (fan off)White batter
2. Sift flour twice and mix with balance of sugar.
3. Beat egg whites with salt and cream of tartar and beat until it is very very foamy. Put in 20gm of sugar and beat until soft peaks. Put in vanilla extract and beat for a while.
4. Pour half the flour mixture in and fold with a balloon whisk. Pour the remaining in and fold until incorporated.
5. Pour this white batter into prepared pan.
6. Beat egg yolks with mixer. Add in sugar gradually and beat until very thick and pale. Put in vanilla extract and beat for a while.
7. Add half the sifted flour in then with mixer running on the lowest speed, mix to incorporate. Then add in half the very hot water. Mix until combined then followed by the remaining flour and then hot water.
8. Pour this yellow batter over the white batter.
9. Bake for 50 minutes (I did exactly as per the recipe) and let it cool down to slightly warm.(I left it upright, didn’t invert at all).
10. Gently pry the cake from the mould with a plastic spatula. Invert onto a plate to serve.


It still looked so good under the sun... like a daffodil :)





6 comments:

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...