New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Rainbow Fruit Cheesecake - No Bake Cheesecakes #2



All natural no food colouring, no artificial flavouring, all fruits! It's one of my crazy projects that I made out of the quest for new ideas.
It's quite an expensive cake to make,but worth it, if you are not into food colouring but yet want to make a surprise for kids.





I had wanted to make a rainbow cheesecake, with land as base and clouds above it...and so, this cheesecake was born. It took me quite a while to think of the fruit combination as I didn't think of avocado to give me green. Kiwi can't do it, and Pandan will interfere with the flavour of the fruits. Lastly when avocado came into my mind, I sprang into action. Why did it take me so long to realise? I don't know,... haha.

Should've piped another ring of clouds to cover the marks

The tricky part of this cheesecake is to get the puree prepared. And of course....getting the bulls eye effect as best as I could. I almost wanted to do this a second time to  get  a better 'curve' for the rainbow, but I dread the puree part, lol. Lazy to wash so many things. So, I will just stay content with this.

My gals loved loved loved the cake. Kids love rainbows :)
I love the different flavour that each colour gives.




Rainbow Fruit Cheesecake
Recipe created by WendyinKK

Base
One pc 8 or 9 inch round chocolate sponge, 1 cm thick (depends on your pan size)

Fruit puree
200gm red berries (any combination you like)+ 1 tsp lemon/lime juice
160gm apricot flesh or canned peaches that look orangey + 1 tsp lemon/lime juice
120gm mango flesh + 1 tsp lemon/lime juice
90gm avocado flesh + 1 tbsp green lime juice + zest from 1/2 lime
30gm blueberries + 1 Tbsp water
50gm dark ripe mulberries or blackberries
Sugar to sweeten

Cheesecake filling
125ml water
3.5 Tbsp gelatin
250gm cream cheese, softened
80gm sugar
300gm whipping cream

Topping
200ml whipping cream
2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp gelatin + 1 Tbsp water , melted

Prepare puree
1. Mash (with fork) blueberries and mulberries with some sugar. (taste and adjust the sweetness. If the blueberries are not blue enough, but looks pinkish, add a pinch of baking soda. Add until it looks blue enough to you). Let the berries sit for 3-5 minutes and mash again. Heat them in the microwave (or cook them in your preferred way) until they start to bubble up. Leave to cool and strain.
2. Puree the rest of the fruits, add some sugar to sweeten. Amount depends on natural sweetness of fruit. Make the puree to be nicely sweetened according to your preference.



Prepare filling
3. Sprinkle gelatin over the water. Let it sit for 3 minutes, then melt the gelatin (either in microwave or double boil).
4. Beat whipping cream until stiff peaks, set aside in the fridge.
5. Beat cream cheese until smooth. Put in sugar and beat until smooth. Beat in the gelatin(preferably at body temperature, not too cool) until combined. Fold the whipped cream in.
6. Separate the cream cheese mixture into these weight and fold with their respective fruit puree.

230gm-red berries
180gm- apricot
140gm-mango
110gm- avocado
80gm- blueberry
50gm- mulberry

7. Prepare a 8 inch or 9 inch springform pan (I used this pan). Line the base with paper. Dolllop the cream cheese mixture into the center of prepared pan, starting with red, one after each other according to the arrangement above.
8. Lightly bang the pan down to level the batter. Top with chocolate sponge cake, gently press to adhere.
9. Cool in fridge for at least 5 hours.
10. Flip cake pan over serving dish/cake board.

Unmoulding and final deco
11. Prepare a clean towel, pour some very hot water over the towel. Quickly lift up the towel and drape it over the cake. The cake will drop down very quickly (if the towel is very hot). Remove the pan. Keep in fridge as you do the topping.
12. Whip whipping cream til peaks form, add in sugar and whip until stiff. Beat in melted gelatin.
13. Frost top of cake with whipped cream. Chill for another hour before serving.





Chocolate Sponge base (10 inch shallow pan, lined with paper)

3 eggs
75gm sugar
10gm cocoa powder
50gm plain flour + 1/2 tsp baking powder
25gm butter
2 Tbsp milk
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Beat eggs and sugar until ribbon stage (KA: 5 mins on speed 9.Hand Mixer: 10 minutes on highest speed)
2. Meanwhile, sift cocoa powder and flour together. Set aside.
3. Melt butter and put in milk. Mix with vanilla. Set aside.
4. When the eggs are thick and fluffy, remove half the beaten eggs and pour in the sifted flour (on one side) and milk mixture (on the other side). Fold with a balloon whisk until smooth.
5. Fold in the reserved eggs. Pour the batter into prepared pan.
6. Bake at 140(fan)/160C for 20 minutes.Let it cool down totally in pan.
7. Place the pan that you will make the cheesecake in onto the cake, mark the cake and cut to size.



38 comments:

  1. What a lovely creation using natural flavors!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    You were so super creative! Look super delicious!!!
    If I want to use cheese cream instead of cheese + whipping cream, how much that you suggest?
    Thank you.
    Really looking forward to try this awesome cake (^_^)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely cake!
    Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this subtle colours and best of all it is all natural. Can't imagine feeding kids with those artificial colourings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! so pretty, I can understand why children love this cake...I would too! Not for me to do though, too tedious lol!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh wow...fruity cheesecake. Salute!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your rainbow cheesecake, especially the lovely natural colours from the fruits!

    ReplyDelete
  8. 这个看起来是好好吃,但也是很多工,对吗?

    ReplyDelete
  9. beautiful cake, Wendy .. this is definitely cake I want to make for my family.. no food coloring but natural color... so awesome..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, you are so creative! This cake looks so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Really liked this post! cakes looks ummy I use to do buy cheese cake as its time saving.very informative post about cake gifts.thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my gosh, you are so so so talented sincerely. I tried to make this and I failed terribly. My gelatin stinks like mad and I didn't dare to put and my whipped cream won't whip and my puree won't blend with cheese entirely causing there to have lumps. I failed terribly and *applaud*, you are so good!

    ReplyDelete
  13. really love this rainbow cheesecake! can't wait to try it. I found your blog just yesterday in my search of a good buttercake recipe. I've tried it today and I really love it. Guess I will love this cheesecake too. If I make this in future I'll give feedback and link to you if I post it on my blog :) Thank you for sharing such great recipes!^^

    ReplyDelete
  14. Carla's,
    thanks for trying out the butter cake.
    sure link me up, I'd love to hear feedbacks.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Wendy, I've problem with the mixing of cold whipped cream into the smooth cream cheese mixture as the batter seem to curl up and separate once the whipped cream is mixed into it and doesn't look like the smooth mixture that u have... Could you pls advise where have I gone wrong. Did u use blender to blend it into smooth mixture? After it was demolded from cake pan, I can see little spot of cheese appeared on the pink exterior, doesn't look beautiful.. I have not tasted the cake yet as it was meant for mum's birthday cake today.. Hear from u asap. Thanks!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  16. Chris,
    Hmmm... I never had the problem or curdling whenever I do no bake cheesecakes. Usually, there are 2 reasons, if there are specks of white, I think you might have overbeaten the cream, hence, it wasn't smooth, and sort of turned gritty (just looks gritty), even before you fold the cream in. If the cream was over beaten, after you fold it into the cream cheese, it will still be specks of white. The taste of the cake will still be alright. Take it as a snowy rainbow. Look on the bright side, and don't discard it. It's still edible.
    Happy Birthday to your mom :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Chris,
    Oh yeah, the other reason was you didn't fold the cream in quick enough, it kind of solidified when in touch with gelatin, But then again, the most probable reason will be the first.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Wendy,
    Thanks for your reply & well wishes!
    The cheesecake taste great except that the cake consists of many lumpy cheese. Now I suspected that I did not beat the cream cheese long enough to be light and fluffy as I have overlooked on this part...I have made cheese cake before and I have never encountered this problem before... Thank you very much for your advice!
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  19. Chris,
    If the other cheesecakes were white, the specks aren't noticeable. Maybe this cake is tinted, so, it shows

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hi wendy.. can I bake the cake in a spring form pan. Cooled alr den pour in cream cheese mixture?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Wendy,

    Can I make this cake 2-3 days in advance ? Also, can I half the recipe to make it in a 6" round cake tin?
    Can I just layer the colors in layers instead? That will mean I need to adjust all the layers to equal amounts right?
    Appreciate your reply soon. Hoping to make it for my gal's birthday in two weeks time.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  22. Lynn,
    yes you can make this cake 2 days ahead.
    yes, make the colours in equal amounts
    half the recipe will fit a 6 inch pan nicely

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi Wendy,
    When I layer the different colours, do I layer one layer then chill it for 2 hours then layer the next and so on till the last layer and lastly add the sponge cake?
    Or I can simply add on the different colors consecutively Without chilling in between the layers?
    Which is easier to do? Apply the layers evenly or the way you had done it?
    Thank you so much for replying.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lynn,
    Put into the freezer for around 5 minutes, when you touch , if it's not liquidy, then you can put on the next layer.
    If you are not doing a curved rainbow like me, then put the sponge on the base.

    Easier.... ?

    I wanted a curved rainbow effect, so I dropped the batter in without the need to wait, but it's not very easy to get a nice outcome, like you see mine, the curve is a bit out of shape.

    But if you just want a horizontal rainbow, then just do it layer by layer. It's more time consuming, but more forgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Wendy,
    I made this in a 6.5" tin instead. I suppose it will be lower.?
    My blueberry purée turned dark brownish in color after sitting on the counter for quite a long time until my cream cheese mixture was ready. Do you happen to know why this happened?. Can it still be use to mix into the cream cheese?
    Also, I realized my cream was not whipped till stiff peaks when I realized my final mixture was of pouring consistency instead of dropping dollops into the cake tin.
    I am not sure if the cake will become a pool of mess when I remove it from tin. Praying for the best that it can at least hold up for my gal to blow her candle. Or maybe I should now go bake a simple sponge cake for her just in case.
    Although this took me the whole day to make I learned something and was amazed at the colors of the berries when preparing them. I admire and thank you for your wonderful sharing of recipes.
    Thank you, Wendy!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lynn,
    Blueberry puree will not oxidize and turn brown.
    Beetroot puree yes.
    I hope the cake turned out alright

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hi Wendy,
    Then that is strange that my blueberry puree turned very dark brown. Anyway since it was not too difficult to redo the small portion of this color puree I quickly remade it and mix in the cream cheese.
    Wanted to let you know that the surface and sides of the cake was quite soft, didn't feel as firm as inside. The inside of the cake was kind of firm and the cake thankfully managed to hold its shape. Just that the colors did not have the nice arc like yours. Mine strawberry pink almost disappeared and mingled into the apricot puree. My blackberry puree turned out more like dark maroon color unlike your mulberry color. Overall the colors were pastel looking and I was very happy to see it.
    Forgot to tell you that I wanted a vanilla cake so I replaced the cocoa powder amount with equal amount of flour.
    Thank you for replying all this while.
    Hope to see more new birthday cakes from you.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  28. Lynn,
    I think the blueberry puree could have turned a dark maroon, some blueberries are redder , probably due to the grounds they are grown, in a more alkaline environment. To make the colour 'blue-er', add baking soda. The natural pigment in blueberries are pH sensitive and can be changed, just like blue pea flowers. When you remade it, it was ok? Maybe then the blender had traces of lemon juice in it, the more acidic it is, the redder it will be.

    The sides could be softer due to a warmer environment. Gelatin starts to melt at 26C. Unless you chill it properly after removing the cake ring before serving the cake.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Wendy,
    Did you mean blackberry or blueberry puree in your reply? Blackberry was to get the maroon color righ? My issue was the blueberry puree which turned brown.
    When I remade the blueberry puree, I didn't use any blender. I followed your recipe which is to fork mash it (in my case the quantity was really small, half of your recipe). Just that the second time I made it there was no need to let it wait while I make the rest of the purée and cream cheese. So maybe the color did not had time to change?
    I see, most probably because the cake was left on the table at airconditioned room for quite a while before it was cut.
    By the way you mentioned blue pea flowers is also PH sensitive, do you mean I will need to add baking soda into blue pea flowers puree into to get its blue hue?
    Thanks once again.
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  30. Lynn,
    I meant the blueberry puree. I thought you used a blender and there could probably be lemon juice remnants in it. Sometimes, my blueberry puree also looks very dark maroon, very very dark. But that can be fixed with baking soda.
    Blue pea flower is naturally blue, but if you want to alter it to purplish, add lemon juice or anything acidic.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Wendy, was wondering for the fruit puree, other than the blueberries & blackberries, do we need to also cook the rest? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i cooked those because only heat can maximize their pigment release. the rest is fine without cooking

      Delete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...