New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, October 4, 2013

Buta Kakuni - AFF Japan Butakakuni # 3



My husband loves buta kakuni. He will order this whenever possible during out dine outs at his current fav Japanese restaurant in Ipoh. Of which is why I wanted to cook it.

I went through a few recipes and found Nami's recipe to be quite similiar to what we ate as I knew the meat was once fried.
The preparation take a lot of time, as said by Nami herself, the result is worth it.




I did a few changes or  should I say the lazy me skipped the step. I didn't pound and mould the meat.
And I misread her recipe thinking the ginger, leeks and spring onions were split into two parts for braising, only to realise my mistake when it's time to do the braising with dashi, that there are no longer onions and leeks into it. But I still put them in, and they all melted, luckily!
I also used more mirin, but less sugar , because I want to use more of the mirin I have.


My pork seems to be on the dark side...... reason? I burnt it at step 5. LOL. Didn't realize it has dried up and so when I added in more water, the gravy turned much darker,but luckily no burnt smell yet. Just an added bit of smoky flavour.

This pork is really very troublesome to cook, haha, but my hubby had a good time during dinner. So,it's really worth it.
It also happened I had guests over and they too, enjoyed these.

White mat: 1st and 2nd stage of cooking, Black mat: 3rd stage of cooking


Buta Kakuni
Adapted from Just one Cookbook 

750gm pork belly
25 +25gm ginger
1 leek, white and green separated
2 spring onions, white and green separated
1 bird's eye chilli (optional)
3 hard boiled eggs

4 Tbsp Japanese soy sauce
3 Tbsp Sake
6 Tbsp Mirin
2 Tbsp sugar
750ml dashi (kelp + fish)

1. Cut the pork into large cubes. Pan fry the pork cubes until lightly golden.
2. Place the pork cubes into a pot, put in enough water to cover.
3. Put in 25gm ginger, and the green parts of the leek and spring onions. Bring to a boil and lower to a simmer for 2 hours.
4. Strain the pork and discard the remnants and keep the broth(won't be a lot) and pork
5. Put everything back in pot and put in the balance of ingredients. Bring back to a boil and lower to a simmer and put a plate over the pork and let it cook for 1hour.
6. Remove the plate and put in eggs and chilli and cook for another 30 minutes.




I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest Japan Month

11 comments:

  1. Wendy, I love this! Mirin is Japanese vinegar, right? What is Daishi?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pork Belly is my favourite!! This sure looks very delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Noelle,
    Dashi is stock, Japanese will either use bonito or kelp, in this recipe, it calls for a mixture of kelp and bonito
    Mirin is sweet wine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Japanese style tau yu bak. Must try, must try!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Wendy! I planned to make something similar but you posted first!!! Nvm... let me see what else to cook! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mum favourite Pork Belly...must try..

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love pork belly! This look so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy,

    Another keeper recipe! :) Its a refreshing change from our usual Chinese braised belly pork. Thks again for sharing yet another yummy recipe.

    Pics of my dinner tonite :

    http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii13/sspaks64/bfbcbf17391221d8382739a41d1e91b8.jpg

    http://i260.photobucket.com/albums/ii13/sspaks64/ab74258da76327d9f98d1920c46233f6.jpg


    Susanna

    ReplyDelete
  9. Susanna,
    Beautiful and glistening. Thanks for trying out

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yummy pork! I can certainly understand how much your hubby enjoyed it. Is it supposed to be dry without sauce?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Veronica,
    When I googled for the pics on internet, I found that they also put it dry without the sauce. That's why I followed suit. The ones I ate had some sauce in the serving plate. Just some, not much

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...