From where did I hear of this soup? The Korean show Full House. Rain, the actor keep on asking the lady, Ji Eun to cook this for him. I wondered... bean sprout soup? How nice can it be? Kind of bland as I imagined it.
Kongnamul Guk is a popular breakfast soup, and it it also used for hangover relief.
I went through a few recipes, as some really is plainly salt, water and beansprouts. I chose the most complex version of it, with garlic, chilli and stock :)
It's refreshing light soup with a touch of zing on the tongue and nose. I quite liked it, nothing like how I imagined it in the first place.. After tasting it.. it provided me with a base on how to replicate "Shin" spicy mushroom noodle, hahahah!
Adapted from My Korean Kitchen
1 bunch of soy bean sprouts (80gm)
2 fish stock packs (2X9g)
1 palm sized kombu, rinsed
1 tsp chopped garlic
Some sliced green chilli
Salt to taste
1. Rinse, clean and trim the bean sprouts.
2. Bring 1L of water to boil.
3. Put in kombu and fish stock pack and simmer for 10 minutes.
4. Remove the kombu and stock pack.
5. Put in bean sprouts and simmer it for another 2 minutes. Season the soup according to preference.
6. Turn off the heat and put in garlic and chilli.
I am submitting this to Asian Food Fest Korean Month,
hosted by Sharon of Feats of Feasts.