Thursday, February 24, 2011
I had to do a veggie side dish for my main dish and I only have carrots in the fridge. I then remembered Bob Blumer making carrots with orange and I have 10 oranges in the fridge. This is it!!!
But how to do it? I’ve forgotten, so I googled and found this site . Read thru and used the recipe as a reference.
The taste was really good, and seeing Mike eating another piece of carrot after the other, I’ll definitely do this again some other time.
Braised Carrots with Orange and Rosemary
Inspired by Bob Blumer
For 2 persons only
300gm carrots, peeled and cut into sticks
1 orange (you can either juice it or segment the flesh)
1 heaped teaspoon chopped rosemary
1 heaped tsp orange zest or julienned peel(no white parts) from ¼ of an orange
Salt and pepper
1 Tbsp butter (I used the renderings from my roasted chicken and skipped the butter)
1 tsp brown sugar (use only after tasting)
1. Put butter (renderings instead, if you have) into a heated pan.
2. Put in carrots and spread them around single layer.
3. Let the carrots cook for 1-2 minutes. Then flip the carrots and let it cook for another minute.
4. Put in orange zest/peel and chopped rosemary. Add 1/3 tsp salt and some pepper, and let it cook for another minute or so.
5. Put in segmented orange or orange juice and put in few tablespoons of water.
6. Cover and let it cook on low heat until the carrots reach desired softness, it may take 5-10 minutes.
7. Remove lid and taste the carrots, adjust with sugar if it is too sour.
8. Turn heat to high and reduce until no liquid is seen and carrots look shiny with a nice glaze.
9. Dish up and serve