New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, January 28, 2011

Elvis Presley's Favourite Pound Cake


One of my earliest bookmarked cakes from the internet. It’s been more than 3 years!

After seeing Honey Bee Sweets making her version of this cake, I knew I shouldn’t wait any longer if I ever have some whipping cream, and I did, after making Mike's chocolate engima cake. I forced myself to bake this cake, and I had no regrets doing it.

I was surprised by how this cake rose and then cracked. Usually cakes that I did without leavening will have a nice flat surface. But not this one. It rose at least by 33% when it was baking and lowered to maybe just 20% more of it’s prebaked height when it has cooled.
Another thing is that, when I see cakes baked in cold ovens, usually it’s dense and flatter too…but haha, why is mine domed and comes with a canyon? I have no idea.


But for pound cake or butter cake lovers out there, do try this cake. It’s dense, but soft, with a nice tight crumb. All who ate this cake raved about the crumb, how fine and tight it was.
I think the sugar here is just nice, after reduction. I dare not reduce too much as sugar place a role in retaining moisture in cakes like this. The original recipe with 3 cups of sugar (600gm) is just way, way, way too much. Maybe that’s the reason the “King” got heavier later on. The cake still taste sweet, not overly sweet, nicely sweet. No one complained.



Elvis Presley's Favourite Pound Cake
Recipe source : Epicurious

225gm butter
350gm sugar (reduced from original recipe of 600gm or 3 cups)
½ tsp salt (my butter is salted, so I reduced the salt but did not eliminate this as I usually will due to the high sugar content of the cake)
7 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
250ml /1 cup whipping cream (do not use non dairy)
350gm cake flour

1. Put oven rack in middle position, but do not preheat oven.
2. Generously butter pan and dust with flour, knocking out excess flour.
3. Sift together sifted flour and salt into a bowl. Repeat sifting into another bowl (flour will have been sifted 3 times total).
4. Beat together butter and sugar in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes in a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment or 6 to 8 minutes with a handheld mixer.
5. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition, then beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low and add half of flour, then all of cream, then remaining flour, mixing well after each addition. Scrape down side of bowl, then beat at medium-high speed 5 minutes(I just beat for 2 mins). Batter will become creamier and satiny.
6. Spoon batter into pan and rap pan against work surface once or twice to eliminate air bubbles. Place pan in (cold) oven and turn oven temperature to 350°F/175C (I used 160Cfor 40 mins and 150C for the last 20mins)
7. Bake until golden and a wooden pick or skewer inserted in middle of cake comes out with a few crumbs adhering, 1 to 1 1/4 hours (mine was nicely done at 1 hour). Cool cake in pan on a rack 30 minutes. Run a thin knife around inner and outer edges of cake, then invert rack over pan and invert cake onto rack to cool completely



Butter cake experts out there, can let me know why my cake has wet lines? I read somewhere that it was due to the butter and sugar not well mixed with the batter, but I scraped the bowl after each egg, and after each addition of flour. Please let me know why…..
It always happens when I make cakes with 5 eggs and above with 1 block of butter. I'm suspecting my eggs are too large.

Want a slice? Bite the screen

48 comments:

  1. "That's why the "king" got heavier" hahah that's so funny. :) The cake looks great. And 3 cups of sugar is a lot, but I still want to try this recipe one day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm... Elvis Presley's favourite? But the fine crumb looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fine texture of this cake makes it so special. I wonder does this explain why this is king of Rock and Roll's favourite?

    ReplyDelete
  4. finally this cake is up hor.. the crumbs are very very fine but 1 cup cream... mmmm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! The crumb is really fine indeed. Looks so smooth and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. look at the fine texture! i'm swooning here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Wendy,
    I made this also yesterday in a silicon mould & it came out as hard as rock on the outer surface. :(

    btw, May I know why non dairy whipping cream should not be used here? Tks

    cathy :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy...
    I tried and I tried but I failed I keep coming back to visit you

    Not much fun drooling all over my Toshiba.

    cina

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have the same problem of the wet line when comes to baking a butter cake. Wish to know the cause too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This pound cake looks really moist, love to have it as my breakfast now!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow, yours came out wonderful despite of the wet line. Can't help you there as I'm no pound cake expert.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How many eggs use in this recipe ?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wendy.. How are you enjoying KL. Wendy..

    Wei.. my husband after listening to my telling him about your salted egg yolk chicken decided to try the recipe tonight for dinner :P Anyway it was not bad altho' it looked a bit burnt maybe its because he added 4 egg yolks instead of 3. I hope you don't mind that I mentioned your recipe on my post.

    take care, cinafong

    ReplyDelete
  14. i would also like to try this cake one day but i know i definately not going to delay to 3 years..no idea about the wet lines? does that happen to only a small portion of the cake?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hiya, how many eggs should I use? Can't wait to try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  16. wow looks so moist and nice. Im sure it tastes delicious. Perfect with a cup of tea

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Wendy, love your blog...wonderful pics with tempting recipes! I've made this Elvis Presley's Pound Cake also, inspired by Uncle Lee (Moonlight Rendesvous)..hehee...
    http://ummizaihadi-homesweethome.blogspot.com/2010/06/elvis-presleys-pound-cake-thanks-uncle.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. So nice horr! Yeah I live it too, just that the high fat content is hindering me to make it too often, hahaha! Love the even crack around the bundt!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Esther,
    Wow, you still want to try with the 3 cups of sugar?



    Shirley,
    Whether it's true I won't know, but I just copied the name as it is.



    Zoe,
    The taste and texture is fabulous, maybe that's why.



    Swee San,
    1 cup of cream only ma... hahahaha



    NEL,
    It's fine due to the cream. Do try this out if you love butter cakes.



    Jess Kitchen,
    Yes it's very fine



    Cathy,
    Don't tell me you used non dairy.
    Dairy cream is made from milk and non dairy is made from palm oil based creamers. The result may not be the same.



    cinafong,
    "suen ler ba", come back and get more tissue la.



    lena,
    If square butter cakes, usually the center area. If this cake, all around the cake lor.



    HL,
    thank you very much for pointing out my mistake, it's 7 eggs.



    dinewithleny,
    Yup, exactly, tea!



    Ummi,
    Wah, you tried it with exactly 3 cups of sugar?
    How was it? I will never dare to use so so much.



    Bee,
    Haha, I was the glad the crack was "even", hahaha!!
    How many times have you made this?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wendy
    Do you know there are people who would to hell and back just for a truly butter cake. Do you know 'yik kee' the one in KL Jalan M. Ali near the WIlayah Komplek? They used to have the best oldfashioned butter cake nut lately the quality has started to go down I think they could be skimming on the butter

    cinafong

    ReplyDelete
  21. cinafong,
    I'm not all that familiar with the old parts of KL. Only certain parts of it.
    Yeah, butter cakes can be addictive. Nowadays butter are so expensive, you'd rarely see those Hainanese shops use real butter anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I've never tried to make or eat a pound cake. The ''pound'' word frightens me, feels like growing a pound after eating it. But, Life's too short to eat Junks,I'll try it someday....BTW, I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Carine,
    No la, no one asks you to eat the whole thing.
    Sharing is the key word.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jenn@ChasingFoodDreamsJanuary 31, 2011 at 11:32 AM

    Hi Wendy, I got the same thing also with my cakes sometimes with that wet line. My baker friend told me I did not mix the batter enough. That is the butter line which sink in the bottom of the cake. He told me to mix on high speed for extra 1 -2 mins which should solve the problem. So far, no more such lines in my cake anymore .. :)

    Love to to try this recipe.. anything with this much cream should taste awesomme. Happy New Year to you & yr family!

    ReplyDelete
  25. wendy,

    I guess the culprit to my pound cake failure is due to the non dairy cream which I used. Tks for enlightening.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Hi Wendy...hahahaha, i think that 3 cups of sugar is suit to 3 cups of flour and 7 eggs..maybe! But it's not as sweet as candy or chocolate moist cake..heheee...Next time I'll try this your recipe too..really love this cake!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Ummi,
    This is the full scale recipe, except for the reduced sugar. 1 cup of flour is about 110-150gm, depends on how u convert it, so I used 350gm for 3 cups. This is a 7 egg recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love the cake texture look. Very nive maaa..pun nak cuba buat la...

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Wendy,
    When I made this cake, also have the same butter line like yours. Anyway, this cake is very delicious. Maybe will try the Mrs NgSK's cake next.

    ReplyDelete
  30. delia,
    Thanks for the feedback. I was told later on to increase the baking time a bit and the line will be gone, true enough!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Wendy. Feel wanna try this cake but it looks like a bit more complicated. Mmmm wori it might not be successful. Btw can I bake half of this cake using a square or loaf pan? As I am new in baking, I didnt really buy so many baking pans.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Nicole,
    you can bake this in a loaf pan.
    What size is your loaf pan?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Wendy. I have a 8" loaf pan. Should I folo the same temperature etc as above?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Half recipe means 3.5 eggs? Haha...

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wendy, mine is 8X4 pan.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nicole,
    Do a 4 egg recipe then.
    The cake should be done in about 45 minutes, test it before you remove from oven.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hi Wendy. I just tried the 4 egg recipe. The cake raised and cracked beautifully halfway thru till I took it out from oven after 45 mins. Tested ok. After cool for 30mins the cake go down become flat. I remove it and cut it. The cake failed lar. The bottom half is wet and uncook. Duno what has gone wrong.Must be something wrong with my method again.(I ate the top portion of the cake. It is very fine and nice but abit too sweet for me. Shld cut more sugar next time)

    ReplyDelete
  38. Nicole,
    Deflated cakes are always sweeter than what it should be :)
    Did you poke ur skewer all the way down? If not how come the skewer came out clean leh?

    ReplyDelete
  39. Yes Wendy. Poke it all way down and came out clean. The cake is not wet with batter but it is dense and abit rubbery at the bottom half just like it didnt rise at all.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Nicole,
    what temperature did you use?
    On what settings?

    ReplyDelete
  41. Nicole,
    u sure u used dairy whipping cream?

    ReplyDelete
  42. Wendy, I bought a small box of whipping cream (RM 8) cant remember the brand. It stated made by cow milk. I baked with 160deg for 30mins then I reduce it to 140deg cos the surface turned brown. I wori it might burnt. I am using 8x4 pan.

    ReplyDelete
  43. Nicole,
    Then, you must have put the cake too high up.
    If you didn't use the fan function, the temperature is kinda low, and should be baked for a longer period of time. Always poke the skewer way down to test.

    ReplyDelete
  44. Wendy, my oven is not big & no fan. Cheapo Pensonic oven. There r 3 levels - 1 near to bottom heating element, 1 near top heating element & 1 centre. I place the baking rack at the centre. If I bake at the lower level I am worried tge bottom might burnt. Mmmmmm. . . Headache.. . I did poke till the bottom and clean. No batter. Only saw abit of fine crumb.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Nicole,
    I know which oven you are talking about. I've used that before. Then you should put on the lowest rack, because if you put on the middle one, the cake don't look like it's staying in the middle of the oven, right? It's more upwards. Some more the top of your cake seems to brown so soon, that shows it's too near the upper heating element.
    Next time, if you bake cakes try the lower rack, it mgiht be better. A lower temperature will lengthen the baking process and hence, 45 mins should not be enough.
    Oh yes, no crumbs should stick to the skewer, totally clean. I guess then your cake is definitely underbaked.

    ReplyDelete
  46. Okok. . . Thanx so much for your advice. Will definitely try to bake this again. This cake is very nice cos the texture is very fine. Plus no baking powder/soda. Surprisingly still can rise so nicely. Thanx again Wendy.

    ReplyDelete
  47. Personally I love the gooey line and feel like I hit the lottery when I get a cake to come out like that. I was told that you cream your butter and sugar on medium and when you add eggs one at a time, best on slow speed just until the yellow disappears and add your flour/milk on a low speed. I was told the eggs make your cake rise and fall slightly when you remove it to cool so when you over mix them and during the fall process, the gooey line forms. Don't worry about it. I would eat the whole thing by myself proudly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...