New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Artisan Foccacia Wannabe, a yummy failed attempt


I was intrigued when I saw these videos on how to make the best foccacia, the type that is very holey with thin membranes. But then again, it needs poolish, which is a starter, something I don't have, nor do I have the patience to make a sourdough or a starter with natural yogurt.

So, I just tried to use the recipe substituting with yeast, ahahaha, and the results are definately different. And I also didn't do the bread from dawn to dusk which was what the chef did. I split the process into half. After the first kneading, threw the dough into the fridge for a 12 hour fermentation. And continued the folding process the next day.

I call this a failed attempt, but I'll have the recipe here for my own reference. The written instructions here are pretty confusing, if you intend to read it at a glance.

Artisan Focaccia Wannabe

420gm flour
350gm water
1 tsp salt
2 tsp sugar
½ Tbsp yeast
Some extra virgin olive oil for oiling the dough, about 2-3 Tablespoons

1. Put flour, salt, sugar and instant yeast into a large mixing bowl and mix. Make a well in the centre.
2. Pour water into the well and bring the flour in using a spoon. Make sure all the flour is incorporated with the water.
3. Use a firm spatula and make 100 folds with the dough (I did 150 to be assured ;p)
4. With spatula, from the edge of the dough, lift dough slightly up and pour in some olive oil. Repeat so that the dough is well oiled all over.
5. Cover with a big plastic bag and leave to proof for 1 hour or until it looked doubled. (I just put into my cold oven)
6. After it has doubled, place bowl of dough onto your working table and oil your hands.
7. Bring hands under the upper part of dough(12 o clock), bring 1/3 of the upper dough up and fold it towards you.
8. Bring hands to the lower part of dough(6 o clock), bring 1/3 of the dough up and fold it away from you.
9. Turn bowl 90 degrees and repeat step 7 and 8.
10. Oil hands again and repeat step 7,8 and 9. Do these steps three times in total (if you don’t know what I’m talking about, see the video below). Lift
11. Cover and put dough into fridge and chill overnight (8-10 hours).
12. The next day, take dough out from the fridge and let it warm up until it’s pliable.
13. Oil your hands and Repeat step 7,8 and 9 three times. Let it proof for another hour and oil hands and fold dough 3 times again.
14. Generously oil a 10X10 baking pan (or 9X13) and place the dough onto pan.
15. Press dough down with fingers, making dimples everywhere.
16. Finely chop some fresh rosemary and sprinkle over dimpled dough.Lightly sprinkle some salt over dough. Let the dough rise for another 30 minutes.
17. Meanwhile, preheat the oven at 200/220C.
18. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes.

Watch this video to see how I “knead the dough” and how I oiled the dough. I learnt it from this site.

It may be failed, in terms of the result that I should get. But my holes are still big but not thin. It's crunchy and super yummy on the sides, but the center ones are just so so.

I filled the foccacia with sauteed portobellos and it was yum! Mike asked me to make more of this bread next time, but haha, and that was before he tasted the middle pieces. My oven has always been bad with large surface breads, the center is always wet on the bottom, cooked but wet. So, if the whole bread was like the sides, then it'll be super deliciously yum.

12 comments:

  1. beautiful although a failed attempt hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great attempt! Yeah I remember it's quite troublesome with the starter sourdough. I remember making that last time when in CA. But since your family love it, great isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. why it looks like 'pak thong koh' ala baked version minues the double height from your fav recipe?! hehe. your version is like a pretty shortcut that didn't make the taste cut (does this make sense anyway...ahh gibberish talk from me).
    you mean after it cools down, still has that wet taste on the bottom...was it sticky to the touch?

    ReplyDelete
  4. The bread look very spongy to me. The bread with fillings look delicious to me :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jess,
    Thanks, LOL.



    Bee,
    Yeah, they still loved it



    Lisa.L,
    LOL, like pak tong koh.
    It was cooked thoroughly, but it's not crunchy like the sides. Since this bread is a high moisture content bread, it makes the center, yawoh, like pak tong goh, now that you reminded me. Hahahahahaha!!!



    Zoe,
    Those are the side pieces, that I prepared for my hubby. He ate the best cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I call it delicious failure ^^, I have a lot of them too, but it's good that we can try, right?

    ReplyDelete
  7. wendy, 150 folds, is your wrist okay? you know, when i was doing a quick reading on the instructions,i feel my head is also turning ..i did not watch the video but all the folding and turning sounds like tai-chi! good exercise, nevertheless your foccacia looks great, still not thin??

    ReplyDelete
  8. maybe a failed attempt to u, but not failed for me. looks really yummy to me

    ReplyDelete
  9. Aiya, very hard to pronounce the name lah.....now my tongue twisted liao....cannot try the bread! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Daily Delicious,
    Haha, yeah. If we don't try, we never learn.



    lena,
    Actually it's pretty easy to do. Just like frying rice only, haha. The membranes not thin, should look like bath bubbles, big and thin.



    Jean,
    Thanks for the encouragement



    Pete,
    Haha, Italian words are not local lingo. Good what, exercise ur tongue a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Doesnt look like a failed attempt to me, looks very good in fact:)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...