First and foremost, okra is not a bean. Botanically it's a fruit, being in the same family as Hibiscus.
But generally, here, culinary wise, it's called a bean due to it's longish shape. Just like pine nuts are not real nuts, but are called nuts. Same goes to macadamia which is a kernel and not a real nut. If you watched Masterchef Australia 2 you would've remembered the day Marion, Jonathan and Aaron were tested their 'nut' knowledge.
A dish that I made up out of nowhere since many years ago.
There are few ways for me to cook okra and this is one of my favourites. Okra is a veggie that is pretty much like aubergine or egg plant. Either you love it or you hate it.
Mike hates it and I love it. And so with opportunities to dine with my inlaws, I get to cook Mike’s most hated veggie and not end up eating it myself. My MIL and aunt loved this dish a lot.
For okras, do not buy huge ones as they are old and fibrous. Makes you chew and spit because it’s almost impossible to swallow. I always buy small ones, those that you do not see bulging seeds. I usually go for those slightly longer than my fingers and they are tender and sweet.
The okra in this dish doesn’t have much flavouring, but it’s the caramelized onions that give it that uuumph!.
How nice this dish taste depends on how well the onions are done.
Okra with Spicy Caramelized Onions
Recipe source: Wendyywy
Serves :4-6, depending on portion. 3 of us finished this : )
350gm onions, sliced
3-4 red chillies, sliced
2 cloves or garlic, finely chopped
¾ tsp salt
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
3 Tbsp oil
1. Rinse okras and trim the stem away.
2. Bring a pot of water to boil, add some salt to the water.
3. When water has come to a boil, put in okras and boil for one minute. Drain well and arrange on serving plate.
4. Heat a wok on high, put in 3 Tbsp oil and put in garlic. Cook until it is fragrant very slightly golden and put in sliced onions and chillies.
5. Cook until edges of onion looks browned and becomes fragrant.
6. Put in salt and Worcestershire sauce.
7. Cook for another minute and put on top of blanched okras to serve.