Friday, February 10, 2012
Tofu (to-full) cakes with cherry tomatoes... that's what this is. I made this 2 days ago to fill up my themed week. I only had 2 posts in hand initially, and trying to submit to AB, I had to start this week's theme w/o a Full-House (3of a kind).
Chinese New Year is always about adundance and wealth. In Chinese the 富(fu, wealth) sounds similar to 腐. And being full is a must for this occasion. Rice bucket must be full, pocket also full (kids that is, with all those angpow), tummy full with all the food, and of course, playing cards also hoping for Full.. Full House, Full-Lo, full whatever. LOL. But no no.. not foo choon loong (hole in pants)... not this one.
I took the idea of making flowers in such a way after reading mainland Chinese blogs, no no.,.. not reading, but looking. My Mandarin is not that good to read, but look is good enough.
Pan frying this to-full makes it taste nicer, but baking is easier (but leaves turned dull). Choose whichever way you prefer
To-Full Blooms 花开富（腐）贵 (Tofu Cakes with Cherry Tomatoes)
Makes one 6-inch cake (baked) or 4pcs 3-inch pancakes (pan-fried)
120gm pressed tofu
1 large egg
¼ tsp chicken stock powder (add more if u prefer but I like to taste my tofu)
1 tsp cornstarch
1 Tbsp oil
5 cherry tomatoes or more
Coriander /parsley sprigs
1. Preheat oven to 200C (conventional)
2. Mash tofu with fork and mix with egg, chicken stock powder and cornstarch.
3. Put 1 Tbsp of oil into a 6 inch baking dish and swirl it all over to coat the base and sides.
4. Pour balance of oil in dish into the tofu mash. Stir to combine.
5. Pour tofu mash into oiled dish and level.
6. Half cherry tomatoes and arrange onto the tofu. Arrange coriander sprigs.
7. Bake for 20 minutes or until puffy and slightly golden.
*If you want to double the recipe, bake in a 8 inch pan
*If you want to fry, Just do step 2 and fry according to the picture above. Tomatoes sliced instead of halved
1/2 inch thick Tofu Cake
Editing these pictures were a PITA... the colours are all off..
Real thing looked better
The 2nd picture was the only one with "real" colour.