New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, March 29, 2010

Blueberry Muffins with Lemon Sugar Crust


I made up the muffin recipe myself to accomodate the stuff in my pantry and the topping is from one site that I've forgotten to note down. I made these Nov 2009 when blueberries from Australia were in season.

The topping makes it different, with a tang. Blueberry muffins are everywhere with different versions on the internet, but not many comes with a tangy topping. Try this if u love lemons and blueberries.

My Mother in Law who is not a muffin lover find this to be good. She finds usual muffins to be dense and sticks to the palate and teeth. But no.. not this one. Muffins made with yogurt are soft and fluffy.

Recipe
250gm cake/superfine flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
200gm sugar
1 heaped tsp lemon zest
125gm blueberries

2 eggs
80gm melted butter
200ml plain yogurt

1. Preheat oven to 180/170C.
2. Sift cake flour with baking soda and baking powder.
3. Remove 2Tbsp of sugar and combine it with the lemon zest. Set aside.
4. Mix the balance of sugar with sifted flour. Set aside.
5. Lightly beat eggs and combine with melted butter and yogurt.
6. Make a well in the centre of (4) and pour in (5).
7. Mix just to wet ingredient. Do not combine until very smooth.
8. Put in blueberries and lighty mix. Do not break the berries.
9. Spoon batter into 12 4oz muffin cups. Top with some lemon sugar (3).
10. Bake for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.

I was greedy and baked them in 10 muffin cups and see what happened.. Don't repeat my mistake and bake them in 12.


I was trying to snap some pictures using natural light on my window sill and here's what happened....

The blueberries got stolen.... by Lydia.

33 comments:

  1. Looks fabulous. These are my favourite. I always eat them at the cafe with a cup of coffee. now I can make my own.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    Thanks. Do let me know how yours turn up, if u make them :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got these fresh blueberries whenever there's 50% off at Jusco. I will grab at least 3 packs. I love freshly baked blueberries. So juicy good! And yours look pretty seducing too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are wonderful! I absolutely love blueberries paired with lemon. The muffins look so tender!

    ReplyDelete
  5. My Little Space,
    Aiyo!!! How come I never come across them going for 50% I don't see Ipoh's Jusco cutting prices even when the stock is old.

    Tesco Ipoh got lots of price cuts on few days old stuff, like strawberries or certain vege.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Patricia,
    Thanks for coming to my blog. I love your blog a lot!!!
    Yup the muffins were indeed very tender, because they were made with yogurt.

    ReplyDelete
  7. next time must buy some fresh blueberries to bake this muffin, looks good !but I will remember to bake them in 12cups, hehehe..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sonia,
    Yeah, next time when u make it, do notify me :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the lovely crust on top :) I like your lemon zest/sugar topping, will love to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the shot of the blueberries...that's a great picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Peabody!!!!
    I can't believe u came by!!!
    I simply simply adore your blog.

    Haha! Actually I don't know why it turned out that well, I find it very nice too. I hit the jackpot when I did that shot.

    ReplyDelete
  12. HHB,
    Do try it out and let me know ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lemon sugar! That's new blueberry muffin for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Tigerfish,
    Hope u try it out when the summer blueberries are out!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome Pictures..Looks so yummy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. this is lovely!!! i love recipe with yogurt in it. will have a try on this :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wendy, I have made some of these... And have linked to you. These are really great!!! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Just tried these and they turned out brilliantly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi, I am thinking of trying this recipe this weekend. One question though : why do we need baking soda + baking powder? It seems that most of the muffins recips mostly call for baking powder? Sorry for the dumb question, I am really new to baking. :)

    Thanks,
    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lee,
    Baking soda is used when there are acidic components.
    In this case, the components are yogurt and blueberries.
    If the acids are not neutralized, the muffin will be dry and crumbly and it sticks to your teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ah, got it, thanks Wendy!
    Can't wait to try this tomorrow. :)

    Thanks again!

    Lee

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi, I want to make muffins which are not so sweet. Can I just reduce the sugar by half and still get the same result? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous,
    Half the sugar could be quite bland for that amount of ingredients. But then it's up to personal preference.
    The muffin could be more crumbly and less moist if less sugar is used. And since yogurt is used here, the tanginess could be more prominent.

    ReplyDelete
  24. how many cups is 250 grams of cake flour?

    ReplyDelete
  25. how many cups is 200ml of yogurt? THANKS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Anonymous,
    There are a lot of conversion tools online that you can use.
    BTW, 250ml is one cup, I'm sure you can calculate the yogurt based on this, right?

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have tried and followed your steps.Sangat happy with the result & memang brilliantlah and shared them too with my neighbour.I too loved the lemon crusty crust.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hi Wendy,
    Tried this recipe but replacing blueberries with mashed banana and chopped walnuts. Not sure if i underbaked it as the color seem uneven. Mostly brown but small pockets pale yellow yet is not banana. Tasted ok though.

    ReplyDelete
  29. tequila,
    If you replaced with mashed bananas, then there will need other adjustments to the recipe. The yogurt needs to be reduced.

    There's another recipe on my blog https://wendyinkk.blogspot.my/2009/03/banana-yoghurt-muffins.html that uses walnuts and bananas.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I was lazy to do the blending. I will try your banana walnut muffin recipe the next time.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi Wendy,
    May I know if I can replace fresh blueberries with chocolate chips?

    ReplyDelete
  32. Tenny,
    Yes you can use chocolate chips, but, you will also need to reduce some of the sugar in the batter to offset the sweetness from the chocolate chip.
    I suggest that replacing the blueberry with chopped apples might be a better option.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...