Thursday, March 11, 2010
Prune Layer Cake 2
Actually this was an order for Chinese New Year. This lady wanted a low cholesterol full egg yolk layered cake. Usually if I made this for personal consumption, I'll only do whole eggs, but since it's an order, ok, let's go for 30 egg yolks.
Recipe is similiar to the previous post, Haw flakes layer cake, but, I replaced the 10 whole eggs with 30 egg yolks.
30 egg yolks from large eggs
510gm condensed milk
240gm cake flour
1 cannister Prunes, 340gm. Snip prunes into half. Press to flatten on a plate.
1. Preheat oven on grill setting. (My oven has either 230C or 250C setting, so I used 230C)
2. Use a 9x9 inch square pan. Line bottom of pan. Heat up pan for step 8 (I do this over the hot water I prepared for the water bath later).
3. Beat sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
4. Add in eggs, one by one. Beating well after each addition.
5. Mix in condensed milk
6. Sift flour and fold into batter.
7. Separate batter into 10 portions.
8. Spread a portion of batter evenly onto hot pan.
9. Tilt pan left and right to level batter. Grill for 7 minutes or until golden.
10. Remove from oven and press cake layer to remove excess air. Spread another portion of batter over the cooked layer, tilt pan to level batter and arrange flattened prunes onto batter. Grill for 7 minutes or until golden.
11. Alternate step 9 and 10 until batter is finished.
Pan needs to be heated up at step 2 for even distribution of batter. You can either heat up in the preheating oven or over a pot of hot water.
Switch off oven fan when u do this cake, if not, the bottom will burn at the end of the baking. If the fan cannot be turned off, like my oven, even on grill mode, bake this cake in a shallow water bath to prevent the base from over browning…my baking pan is 9X9 and my water bath pan is 10X10. Too big a water bath pan will leave u a very moist cake, and a longer browning time. But even if it gets too moist later, u can dry it up in the microwave on low for 10 minutes and then wrap it up again for even distribution of moisture from within.
What did I do with the leftover egg whites???? Few recipes coming up :)
New Youtube Channel
Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA