New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, March 22, 2010

Curry Ikea Meatballs


I love Ikea's meatballs. Besides having them the Swedish way, I want to try making them with a curry sauce.

Few years back, Mike and I went to Pangkor Laut Resort for a weekend getaway. We had lunch at Chapman's Bar on the private Emerald beach, and I fell in love with their curry meatballs. It wasn't done with coconut milk, instead it was done with cream. It was splendid!!!


Here, I tried to recreate it. Although I do not know what spices they used, I tried using this "English" curry powder, supposedly imported from England and repacked here. Why supposedly, cos I'm not sure if it's really from there, I just read it from the packaging. Many aunties have recommended this curry powder, saying it's aromatic but not spicy.

Ok, so, to cook 16 pieces of Ikea meatballs (serves the 2 of us)

I used,
16 pieces of Ikea Swedish Meatballs
Butter for frying meatballs
1/2 cup onions, chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 Tbsp Waugh's curry powder, or any other curry powder u may like
200ml cream (I used 31% fat content)
few tablespoons of water
salt and sugar to taste.

1. Thaw meatballs. Fry in butter until the outerlayer seems crisp. Dish out.
2. With remaining butter in pan, saute onions and garlic until onions turn soft.
3. Put in curry powder and fry until fragrant.
4. Put in cream and let it simmer until it turns thick and creamy. Add some water if it's too thick. Season sauce with salt and sugar.
5. Return meatballs to the sauce and coat them evenly.
6. Dish up meatballs and serve with rice/pasta or whatever u prefer.


Few days later I cooked the meatballs with a sweet and sour sauce.
Swedish meatballs in a Chinese sauce :)
Great fusion and easy to do.

16 comments:

  1. OMG, Ikea has tough competition now! The cream sauce looks irresistible.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ju,
    I thought Ikea will have better business now :)
    I bought frozen Ikea ones and made this.
    Actually buying all the stuff from Ikea to make their Swedish meatballs aint cheaper than eating it there at their restaurant.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is really clever! I usually buy the sauce that goes along with it but this is a nice alternative :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lorraine,
    Yeah, Ikea's meatballs are really versatile.
    Sometimes I cook them with a tomato based sauce for pasta, to make spaghetti with meatballs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yummy looking mweatballs! I don't eat Ikea ones since they have pork. But they look very tempting :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This curry meatball looks so good! I will love to try this, thanks so much for sharing such a great meal idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sonia,
    U can use ur pork balls to make this too:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anh,
    Errr... Malaysia's Ikea Meatballs do not contain any pork, because there are a lot of Moslems here.
    U can do this with any meatball u prefer.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy Homebaker,
    Thanks. Do tell me about it if u've tried it out. Would love to see the pics.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is quite a hearty delicious winter dish! Love the curry gravy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wah... next time gonna try this in your house!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Wendy,
    Wonder where u get that sauce (Waugh's curry powder)? Kindly enlighten me. Great job! Tried a few of ur recipes n they turn out well. SOOO HAPPY!
    From: Monica

    ReplyDelete
  13. Monica,
    thanks for the feedback.
    I got the powder from a grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Wendy,

    Waugh's Curry Powder from which grocery store ? I would like to try the powder.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jane,
    Oh you're from Kangsar too. It's at the grocery shop facing the market.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...