Wednesday, March 17, 2010
Fried Rice with Dried Scallops and Kailan Stems
When I was still staying in KL, Mike and I used to frequent this Hong Kong Culture (yes, this is the name of the shop) in Plaza Low Yatt, whenever he goes there for his IT shopping sprees.
I have a few favourites from this shop and one of them is this never seen or heard before, fried rice that is done with dried scallops and egg white that was dotted with broccoli stems. It was so delicious. I didn’t know how did they get the sprinkling of shredded conpoy to be so crispy. Did they steam and shred it? Or were they the remnants of the soup base for their noodles?
½ cup dried scallop shreds
6 cups cooled cooked rice
3 stalks of kailan stems (peeled and cut into little cubes, about 2 cups. You may substitute this with broccoli stems)
12 egg whites (1.5 cups)
3 sprigs of spring onion (when finely sliced/chopped, should come to about one cup, white and green parts separated)
1 Tbsp chicken stock powder
1.5 tsp salt
1. Bring a saucepan of water to a boil. Put in kailan cubes and cook for 5 seconds. Strain and keep aside.
2. Heat wok and put in 1/3 cup of oil. Fry dried scallops shreds until golden brown. Dish up scallops shreds leaving behind oil in wok.
3. With the oil in wok, fry egg whites, scrambled until cooked, dish up. Do not overcook.
4. (use the same wok, unwashed, but make sure there are no egg whites left in wok) Put in 2 tbsp oil into wok and put in sliced white parts of spring onion. Saute for 3 seconds and put in rice. Toss rice for about 3-4 minutes until rice is very hot and evenly coated with the oil. Put in cooked kalian cubes. Season with chicken stock powder and salt. Taste and adjust.
5. When rice is nicely seasoned, put in egg whites. Toss until evenly distributed. You may add in fried scallop shreds and green parts of spring onion now or sprinkle them on top of rice later.
6. Serve hot
New Youtube Channel
Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA