New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Friday, June 4, 2010

Strawberry Mousse Cones with Chocolate Ganache Topping




I was shopping for groceries and I saw ice cream cones.. suddenly I want to make something with it and I came up with this. Since this is not an ice cream, it doesn't melt as fast as one, but in our weather, it still melts, just not as fast.

It's a perfect dessert for entertaining and parties since you don't need to wash up more plates or bowls and spoons. Everything is eaten up

One thing about this chocolate ganache topping that I made. Whipped ganache should not look this dark. It should only be like the colour of hot chocolate or milo. Being the first time doing whipped ganache, I overdid it, luckily it didn't turn grainy. It will, you know, I was just lucky.

Strawberry Mousse Cones with Chocolate Ganache Topping

The Cones
10 ice cream cones (flat based like McDonald’s)
Cooking chocolate, melted (I used about 150gm)
Coat the insides of the cone with melted chocolate. Put them in the fridge, uncovered to solidify.


Strawberry mousse
200gm strawberries (hulled weight)
60gm sugar
2 tsp gelatin (I find the mousse too solid for this cone thing, I’d recommend 1 .5 tsp instead. 2tsp will be fine for cake)
200ml whipping cream

1. Put gelatin into a bowl big enough to put the strawberry puree later. Moisten gelatin with 1 tbsp water or more. Make sure all the gelatin granules are moistened.
2. Puree strawberries and cook with sugar until it comes to a boil. Pour over gelatin. Stir well, make sure all the gelatin at the base of the bowl are stirred.
3. Leave strawberry mixture to cool down totally to room temperature.
4. Whip cream to soft peaks.
5. Fold 1/3 into cooled down strawberry mixture.
6. Pour (5) into the balance of whipped cream.
7. Fill cone immediately until almost to the rim
8. Place fiiled cones in fridge while you prepare the whipped ganache.

Chocolate Ganache
200ml whipping cream
200gm dark chocolate/semisweet
2 tbsp corn syrup or golden syrup

1. Break chocolates into a bowl. Put in golden syrup. Set aside.
2. Bring whipping cream to a boil and pour over chocolates.
3. Let sit for 30 seconds. Stir until mixture becomes smooth.
4. Chill in fridge for at least 2 hours.
5. Whip ganache until colour turns pale.
6. Fill cones with whipped ganache.





39 comments:

  1. You are so creative Wendy! It's a perfect kid's treat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is an interesting recipe. :) when i looked at it, i thought it was going to be chocolate cupcake cones. this is a pleasant surprise, I am loving your presentation of the cones. The only thing is I thought eggs were dirty, so shouldn't putting the cones in egg cartons be a little iffy?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh ya, this is such a great idea and absolutely perfect for parties! And then can also cut down the usage of plastic cups. We eat the whole thing in, no waste! Hope you're having a nice day!
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW! What a great idea for party dessert! You are super creative! Thanks for sharing such a creative idea, I shall do it for a party next time. Thank you thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! This is an interesting and great idea to serve mousse in an ice-cream cone.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Quinn,
    Yeah, my kids loved this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Esther,
    Haha, yeah, egg cartons are icky.
    I line the cavities with tissue before I put the cones in. You can use any thing to hold them up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kristy and Kitchen Corner,
    Thanks, yeah, but the cones do soften a bit, so be careful and coat the insides with generous amount of chocolate as the mousse seeped into the cone and made it soft at certain spots.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Definitely a hit at kids parties...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks yummy....I'll take this down and will try it one of these days :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. wor, this really beautiful and yummy. where you get this ice cream cones? I can't find this type at my place.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Mumto4angels,
    When you try it out, let me know ya

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sonia,
    I got the cones at a supermarket here.
    Think this is available in Tesco or Jusco too.

    Aladdin also has this type of cones, but this brand that I used is actually manufactured by my friend's factory. I forgot what brand, but I only know his company's name.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Aw this is so smart and so cute! Definitely keeping this in mind for any parties I have in the future =)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wendy, u r so creative! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is really good for kids party. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I see you making this over and over again for your kids...:)

    ReplyDelete
  18. merhaba, mmm nefis görünüyor,elinize sağlık,Türkiye' den sevgiler

    ReplyDelete
  19. can u chill them? i m wondering how it will taste if chilled..better? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I've tried baking cakes in ice cream cones but they turned soft fast. This is such a great idea! I always wonder, why are you such a genius?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wendy, you are so creative! this looks so nice, not only kids wil love it, adults like me wil definately love it too!

    ReplyDelete
  22. This looks seriously GOOD! Love that strawberry mousse!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Shirley,
    Hahaha, I don't know when I'll make this again for them, as I have tons of ideas in my brain. Takes a long time for me to repeat the same stuff, unless it's something that I can eat quite often.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Manglish,
    They must be chilled!!!!!
    If not anything with gelatin will melt in Malaysia's room temp!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Blessed Homemaker,
    The steam for the cakes while baking will definately soften the cones.
    Haha, maybe I'm too curious with too many ideas in my head!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow! Wendy, I hadn't even thought of such an idea for dessert! Ah, thanks for the ideas! Btw, I myself haven't tried whipped ganache leh ...

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pei Lin,
    You're welcomed.
    Whipped ganache taste really light and lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. These look amazing! How long does the mousse filled cone last for? I wanted to make it for a party on Sunday so could I make it on Friday and keep it until then?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Cynthia,
    Anything with whipping cream should be consumed within 3 days.

    I suggest you prepare the different compounds earlier, but not assembling it. The mousse can be prepared earlier, but you have to beat up the mousse again before piping it into the cone cos it would've set. Putting the mousse in the cone too early might soften the cone, that's the only problem cos we might know know whether it leaks (choc may not be covering every part inside)

    Those that I made were all eaten up the moment I brought them out.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hi Wendy,
    I am planning to do a whipped white chocolate ganache for a birthday cake.....needs your advice on the ratio (white chocolate to cream) . thanks !

    ReplyDelete
  31. wvfy,
    this is one question I cannot answer you because I have failed in my one and only attempt at white chocolate ganache :p
    White chocolate is not as easy to use compared to dark chocolate. It's quite temperamental.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hi Wendy!
    I am looking for simple recipe for chocolate ganache and came across your. May I know the dark chocolate that you use for the ganache recipe. Is it the normal eating chocolate or it is actually cooking chocolate? From my understanding cooking chocolate has no sugar. So, if using cooking chocolate, will the ganache taste bland?

    ReplyDelete
  33. bigbuttgal,
    Sorry for the confusion.
    It should be dark compound chocolate for baking.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...