New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, June 28, 2010

Fresh Apricot Galette with Almond Crust


The dough became a batter.
That was what happened when I followed the recipe (not telling the source ;-P ).

Then I checked other recipes out,
My Baker’s Dozen Cookbook says
1 cup flour and ¾ stick butter

Another site says
1 and ¼ cup flour for 1 stick of butter.

So how can this recipe I used call for 1 cup flour with 1 and ½ stick of butter. That’s like double amount of butter compared to the one in Baker’s Dozen. Gosh…. Learnt my lesson the hard way.

I added more flour and almonds to make the dough pliable, it’s still soft, but way harder than before. At least it's manageble.
With all the additional flour and ground almonds, I had such a big piece of rolled out dough that it didn’t fit my freezer or fridge, so I had to cut it out to a 12 inch circle. I’ll use the cut outs later for a tart,

I felt so “urgghhh!” that I didn’t even feel like glazing the side with butter and sugar before baking.

Now, look at these pretty rosy apricots and cool down...............................
They turned rosy after spending more than 2 weeks in the fridge. If you want them to ripen quick, just leave them overnight in a paper bag at room temperature.


Ok, I've cooled down.


This recipe below should be the one that works, I cut 33% of what I actually used in total for the dough today, since there were extra dough.
I rewrote the original recipe to be a logical recipe based on other recipes after everything was baked.

100gm all purpose flour
30gm almond meal
1 Tbsp icing/confectioners sugar
80gm salted butter (original needed 115gm, and trust me, it doesn’t work)
2-4 Tbsp ice water

5 ripe rosy apricots (they look yellow when unripe), please taste them at this point to determine how much sugar to sprinkle later
3 Tbsp sugar, more if they are tart.

Some melted butter
Extra icing/confectioner’s sugar for sprinkling

1. Preheat the oven at 180/200C. Prepare 2 pieces of non stick baking paper about 13 inches square
2. Mix almond meal, icing sugar and flour together. Rub in butter until mixture looks like crumbs.
3. Add water bit by bit until dough can be formed. You may not need all the water.
4. Lightly flour dough and place dough in between the baking paper. Use a roller pin and roll out the dough to be come a 11-12 inch circle with about 3-4mm thickness.
5. Peel upper piece of paper. Place paper back onto dough, lightly smoothen paper onto dough. (This is to ease removal later)
6. Place flattened dough, with the “upper” paper side down in your baking tray. Now, remove the lower paper that is now on top.
7. Place the whole tray to freeze for 10 minutes (or chill for 30mins).
8. Meanwhile, slice the apricots (you can use them unpeeled).
9. After 10 minutes, remove the dough from the freezer and arrange all the apricot slices onto the dough, starting from 4-5cm from the edge. Sprinkle sugar over apricots. Be generous if they are tart.
10. When arrangement is done, fold edges of dough over fruit (use the baking paper to help you fold), overlapping each other, so that there will not be tears or gap that will allow the juices to escape while baking.
11. Brush folded edges with melted butter and sprinkle with icing sugar.
12. Bake for 40-50 minutes or until golden brown. (I did 30 mins only as my apricots were starting to burn)


Verdict:
The apricots were so so tart!!!! I squinced when I ate them, even after I sprinkled sugar on, the sweetness went undetected. Only the sweetness from the crust tried to overcome the tartness of the imported apricots. I asked Mike’s aunt who also ate this whether the apricots she had back when she was in the UK tasted like this, she said no, they were much sweeter. Sigh, will sweet apricots ever arrive on our shore???? Even these super sour ones were RM10.90 for 5 pcs. I went to Jusco again the following week (after I got these) and I saw them at RM8.90 for 8 pieces. Prices do change fast.


Despite the super tart apricots, the crust was good. The ground almonds madethe difference. I’ll do this again next time, maybe with apples, or plums or canned apricots, hahaha. But not with fresh apricots again, unless I manage to get sweet ones.

37 comments:

  1. wow...this is really a good stuff...like ur pics a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear, how frustrating! Don't you hate it when a dough recipe doesn't work out? I know that there can be a little variation as batches of flour differ but watery sounds really wrong!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lorraine,
    Actually I wrote to the site and she confirmed that the 1 cup of flour was a typo and it should've been 1 and 2/3 cups of flour. That was like almost 40% of flour missing!!!! No wonder my dough turned batter like instead of dough like.

    But the end product is still nice (after my own adjustments)
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know how you feel when you follow a recipe to the T and yet it doesn't turn out the way it should. I have had my fair share of boo-boos but somehow we will always manage to salvage the situation just like what you had done. And it turned out good. It looks good and the thought of biting into almond pastry is making me salivate.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, u are so great! despite the wrong recipe, u are still able to churn up this delicious looking dessert!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The apricots look so pretty! Too bad they are sour :( You did the right thing to adjust the recipe, sometimes it is better to trust our own intuition when something seems to go wrong. I am planning to make something similar but with strawberries :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Busygran,
    If you can get some sweet apricots, then this galette will be really good.
    Takes some courage to add extra flour, and I just went with my gut feeling on how much to add, but I did weigh how much I added in, so that I can calculate later :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jess,
    Thanks, that's a "kuah jeong" (exagerated compliment)
    :)
    Just dump some courage in the galette after refering some other recipes and was sure the recipe I had was wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  9. A galette is good with any summer fruits and furthermore it's so simple to make. ;) Yours look yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pour thing, I faced the same problem too sometimes! I don't like wasting, so will go on whatever I think it's the best. And mostly turned out better than what I expected. You're a good baker so I don't think that's a problem. Just follow you heart. Culinary is atually all about the look, taste, smell and feel of good food! I believe in you, dear friend. Hope you're having a great day.
    Cheers, Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  11. WOW! That's beautiful fruity yet juicy dessert! I like this very much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy Homebaker,
    Oh, I cna't wait to see your strawberry galette :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Honey Bee,
    Yeah, too bad it's summer all year here and we don't have cheap stone fruits to bake with :(

    ReplyDelete
  14. Kristy,
    Hahaha, cannot all follow the heart, I checked out other recipes first... cos the difference in flour amount is a reduction of 40%, something that I cannot accept, only then I adjusted the recipe, if the difference is like 10% or 20% less flour, then maybe it's my technique. Must double check first :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kitchen Corner and Sonia,
    Yeah, actually simple to make :)
    And quick to eat up

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks very nice, I love apricots!

    Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wendy, sometimes the quality of the flour will also affect the results! Yet our 6 sense is very important too! hahaha..... All about plus & minus! Have a good night sleep.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  18. wow you truly wnet all out to get this done and I think you did a great job, at least you got it down without having a batter! :0 we learn from our lessons some times! ;0

    ReplyDelete
  19. Kristy,
    Sometimes la, but since it's just 100gm, the absorption rate of the flour won't make much difference, but I'm making bread with 1kg of flour, then maybe the absorption rate of the flour will make a big difference.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Daniel,
    Thanks, I've grown to love them too.... although they are really tart.

    ReplyDelete
  21. BigBoysOven,
    Yeah... at least it wasn't a batter.
    I adjusted the amount of dry ingredients based on my other recipes, and gave it an increment of 40% :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wendy, i just posted the ginger milk curd, do check out.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Sonia,
    I've seen it already and to qualify pls post in the link into the "try-out page" and provide the required nutritional information about the milk in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. This looks beautiful. Do you think I can add blueberries as now blueberries are really cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Anncoo,
    Definately, then it'll just become a blueberry galette. You can use any fruit to fill the galette

    ReplyDelete
  26. Wow, this is so pretty! and the pastry looks so flaky! yum

    ReplyDelete
  27. I hate unreliable recipes!! The opposite happened to me once- I used a recipe that had too much flour....which kinda sucked because it's hard to add more butter after the water's been added =[ This ggalette looks really good though- I love apricots! Wish we had fresh ones right now....
    Although your apricots looks so pretty I'd probably eat them all up before I got around to baking with them!

    ReplyDelete
  28. LOL! That's why I'm reluctant to buy fresh apricots here because of the skepticism in me! I doubt the ones here are as sweet as the ones I'd tasted in the States! Haha!

    I love the look of your crust ... So rustic. Perfect! OK, maybe I'll also talk about my love affair with galettes in my future post too! Dang! Why are you tempting me every time!?

    ReplyDelete
  29. The apricot galette still looks GREAT even you are not happy with the recipe. I look forward to your next perfect galette.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your photos of this galette are beautiful. I love the combination of an almond crust with the apricots. I already have some pie dough ready but I'm totally going to use it to make an apricot galette (the apricots around here are very sweet). Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Val,
    Oh, I'm sure your galette will turn out great with sweet apricots.
    Looking forward to see it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Well it sure does look beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  33. I juz found your blog! LOVE it to the max! Terrific JOB done!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Anonymous,
    Thanks for loving my blog so much. Gosh, I'm so touched that I need tissue.
    :) I'll try my best to do better.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...