This is Lyanne's 2nd Cake for her 2nd Birthday. Read about it from yesterday's post.
Please find your own way to make the pizza more realistic. I have failed big time when even Lydia cannot figure out it's a Pizza Cake. Hahaha.
Recipe source : Wendyywy
“Tomato” Sauce (Can be done few days ahead)
200gm strawberries (hulled weight)
50-100gm sugar (depends on how sweet your strawberries are)
1. Slice strawberries and put into a saucepan, put in 50gm of sugar(add more later after tasting if strawberries are sour) and on low heat, cook until strawberries turn mushy.
2. Cool to room temp and pour into a container and keep chilled until time of use.
The “Pizza crust” (if using 10 inch shallow pan, please reduce the ingredients by 40%, say use 3 eggs, 48gm sugar......)
80gm cake flour
20gm corn starch
½ tsp baking powder
50gm melted butter
5 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1. Prepare a 14 inch round baking pan (3cm tall only). Line the base and do NOT grease the sides.
2. Preheat oven at 170C (fan)/190C.
3. Beat eggs and sugar until ribbon stage (for hand mixers, beat on the highest speed for 10 minutes minimum), then slow down the mixer to beat for 1 minute. Put 1/3 of beaten eggs into another bowl and set it aside.
4. Sift flour, baking powder and cornstarch into eggs into the remaining 2/3 of eggs and fold using a large balloon whisk, fold, do not whisk or beat.
5. Combine milk, melted butter and vanilla and put in a few tablespoon of the batter (no.4) into the butter mixture. Mix (no need to be gentle) until well combined.
6. Pour mixed butter mixture back into batter and fold.
7. Pour back the earlier reserved 1/3 of beaten eggs and fold.
8. Pour batter into prepared pan and tilt it left and right and all around to let the sides of the pan get as much batter as possible.
9. Bake for 20 minutes.
10. Remove from oven immediately and leave on rack to cool. Do not loosen the sides of the cake. The center will sink, leaving a ½ cm thick crater in the center of the cake.
11. When the cake has totally cooled, carefully peel off the lining paper and place the cake back onto the peeled paper. Place cake with paper underneath on either a pizza box or a decorative tissue lined large square pan (like mine)
200ml whipping cream
1 Tbsp sugar
1 tsp gelatin
1 Tbsp water
1. Place water in a heatproof bowl (ceramic rice bowl will work fine) and sprinkle in gelatin. Let it sit for 2 minutes. Melt gelatin(refer here for method) and let it cool down.
2. Freeze a ceramic/glass mixing bowl or a minimum of 10 minutes or prepare a large bowl of ice water and place your stainless steel mixing bowl in it.
3. Put cold whipping cream into prepared mixing bowl and beat until soft peaks, put in sugar and whip for 10 seconds, then pour in cooled gelatin mixture and beat until stiff.
1 Red Dragon fruit (Pepperoni)
2 Green Kiwi (Capsicum)
2 or 3 Canned Pineapple slices
10 Black Grapes, impaled with a chopstick (olives)
1. Place cake onto cake board(then no need for the paper to be underneath) or pizza box or large tray.
2. Spread a thin layer of “cheese” over pizza crater.
3. Spread “tomato” sauce over “cheese”.
4. Place remaining “cheese” into a plastic bag, snip of a small corner, about 3mm in diameter.
5. Then squirt the “cheese” all over the “tomato sauce”.
6. Put cake into fridge to chill, while you prepare the toppings.
7. Peel and half kiwi fruit. Discard whitish core and slice it lengthwise.
8. Run a chopstick through the grapes and slice it about 5mm thick.
9. Cut pineapple into chunks.
10. Peel and slice dragon fruit thinly, about 5mm thick. Cut with cookie cutters if preferred.
11. Remove pizza from fridge and arrange toppings starting with the largest to the smallest.
12. Chill until time of serving.
This seemed to be a big slice of cake, but don't worry, it's not filling at all.
It was delicious, those who ate said so :)