New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Apple Banana Coffee Cake with Chocolate Chip Streusel

 


The original recipe seemed huge, so I halved it. And I saw another blogger, Kristy using apple in this, so I followed suit, to add an apple to the batter. This recipe has been made by a lot of bloggers, just by googling you can find loads of them, but google without the apple word to find try-outs with the original recipe.

Coffee cakes are cakes that are meant to be eaten with a cup of coffee, due to the sweetness, and they usually comes with streusel topping. So, don't be looking through my recipe searching for the coffee ingredient. No, it is non existent.

Very nice cake, the streusel’s great. Get a cup of coffee with this , yea!!


Apple Banana Coffee Cake with Chocolate Chip Streusel Recipe
Recipe adapted from Epicurious who adapted from Bon Apetit Magazine

Cake batter
100gm all purpose flour
1/3 tsp baking powder
1/3 tsp baking soda
60gm butter
50gm brown sugar
1 egg
150gm banana (weighed without skin), mashed
1 green apple, peeled, cored and sliced thinly.

Streusel mixture
50gm brown sugar (can be reduced to 30gm)
50gm walnuts, chopped
½ tsp cinnamon powder (you can put more if you like, but as usual I always greatly reduce this)
80gm chocolate chips (I used half white half milk choc)

1. Preheat oven at 170/180C. Line a 8 inch round pan or a 7 inch square pan. (a 7 inch round pan will be fine too, as my 8 inch round only yielded an 1.5 inch cake.
2. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda together. Mix in salt, set aside.
3. Prepare streusel mixture by mixing all of the ingredients together.
4. Cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
5. Add in egg and beat until well combined, it may look curdled.
6. Put in bananas and mix.
7. Put in the flour mixture and mix until well combined. It looks rather thick.
8. Put half the batter into pan, and level the batter. (the batter don’t seem to be a lot, but don’t worry, it’s enough to be spread around the pan)
9. Arrange half the apple slices onto batter and top with half of the streusel mixture.
10. Dollop the remaining batter by the tablespoons into pan, try to put the dollops evenly spaced out on the first layer of streusel. Then use a spatula to even out(press and spread) the dollops of batter. (This step is a bit tricky because the streusel from below tends to come up and stick to the upper layer of batter.)
11. Arrange the remaining apple slices and top with remaining streusel mixture.
12. Bake for 30 minutes or until tooth pick come out clean.

****The batter may look thick, but the cake is soft and fluffy.

33 comments:

  1. Looks so delicious! Soft and moist. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wendy, your toppings are so generous! Very inviting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow! i feel want to chew the walnuts and banana..will print this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh yum...!! can i have some please...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jet,
    It's moist and nice :)



    Edith,
    Haha, I just went with the recipe.
    The recipe was generous.



    Jes's Deli Corner,
    No banana to chew. It's mashed.




    Swee San,
    Long time no see ah. Sure, take as much as u like :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks so so very good! Love the streusel topping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks absolutely delicious! I could definitely pair this with my coffee every morning to start my day right!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wendy, I love the generously topping, this is the cake I will like, yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A lovely cake for an afternoon tea party...awwww awesome ! thanks for sharing the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The title of the cake is enough to make me drool! All ingredients are those which I like in a cake! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks delicious! I like cake with streusel topping, perfect match with a cup of cappuccino!

    ReplyDelete
  12. NEL,
    Yup, it's very nice




    Peggy,
    This will make a very nice dessert breakfast :)




    Jess,
    Being generous is always nice, to the tastebuds :)



    Elin,
    Don't forget to invite me, I'm not too far away.
    Hahaha.




    Passionate about Baking,
    Yeah, bananas, walnuts, apples, chocolates,,... who doesn't like these :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all that toppings on top! Simple delicious ;))

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like cakes with streusel topping especially all the crunchy bits. It taste even better the next day.

    ReplyDelete
  15. i havent tried making this cake before and i think i wld love the streusel topping.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Min,
    thanks



    Anncoo,
    I love the toppings too



    Gert,
    Oh, after they have softened? The texture will be more even, rather than to have a contrast.




    lena,
    Try it one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to eat this with a hot cup of kopi kosong....good leh!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ok I dao pao my own coffee ... pls keep a slice for me. thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Pete,
    nice way to enjoy this:)



    pigpigscorner,
    :)



    Yummy Koh,
    Sure no prob




    HKChoo,
    Please do :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jes's Deli Corner,
    I don't think it'll be suitable here, as self raising flour will have too much baking powder. This recipe needs baking soda to neutralise the acidity from the banana and apple. 100gm self raising flour will have more than 1/3 tsp baking powder, therefore should not be used here at all.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hie Wendy, I just baked this cake using your recipe and it is delicious. Your recipe never fails to amaze me! :) Thanks.

    http://tanshuyin.blogspot.com/2011/01/apple-banana-coffee-cake-with-chocolate.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tan Shu-Yin,
    Glad u liked it. BTW, I didn't create this, can't claim this to be my recipe. I just shared a recipe that I found.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I would like to make this recipe but the smallest tsp I have is 1/4tsp. Any tips on measuring 1/3tsp? Thanks. Love your recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous,
    Slightly more than 1/4 tsp? or slightly less than 1/2 tsp

    ReplyDelete
  25. Can we skip banana in this cake? Instead can we add some other fruit?

    ReplyDelete
  26. kavi,
    other fruits... what fruit do you want to substitute the banana with?
    Probably might need to reformulate the recipe, plus, not all fruits will match the other ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thank you so much WendyinKK.

    I thou to try with strawberry. But finally I made it with banana :D :D my husband and my 15 month old loved it :) <3

    ReplyDelete
  28. Kavitha,
    I'm glad you tried it out with bananas.
    Baking with real bananas is very nice, unlike commercial cakes loaded with flavouring :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Wendy, can this recipe be made into cupcakes instead? If so, what's the oven temperature and how long do I need to bake them?

    ReplyDelete
  30. Christine Leong,
    This recipe wil be sufficient for 6-8 cupcakes, depending on the size of your cups.
    Temperature stays the same, but time should be around 20-25 minutes depending on the size of your cups. Always test it before you remove from the oven

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...