New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Monday, October 4, 2010

Orange Almond Cake


This is a nice cake for anyone with gluten intolerance. But good for anyone as well.

It is dense with ground almonds, but not like a butter or pound cake.
It is moist with the boiled orange, but not soggy.
And the only oil in this cake comes from the almond itself, no additional fats used.
I changed some of the instructions so that I don’t need to use the baking powder, but feel free if you want to use it.

I tried with navel, according to the instructions and found the orange flavour not so good like my other orange bakes that uses Valencia. I think Valencia might be better here.


Orange Almond Cake Recipe
Source: Taste.com.au

Ingredients
2 large navel oranges, (choose oranges with unblemished skins as the whole fruit is used in this recipe)
5 eggs
1 1/4 cups (250g) caster sugar (I used 200gm only)
2 1/2 cups (250g) ground almonds
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder* (I didn’t use this)
Pure icing sugar to serve

Method
1. Place the two whole oranges in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to the boil and simmer, covered, for 1 hour, ensuring that the oranges remain covered with water. Drain and cool. Chop the oranges into quarters, discard any seeds, then place the chunks into a blender and puree until smooth.
2. Preheat oven to 160/180°C. Grease and line the base of a 8inch round pan.
3. Beat the eggs with the sugar until thick and pale. Take out 1/3 of the eggs and set aside.
4. Then add the orange puree, ground almonds and baking powder and mix well with whisk. After everything is well combined, put the reserved 1/3 of beaten eggs back into the batter and fold.
5. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour (I only did for 50 minutes). Leave the cake to firm up in the pan for 20 minutes then turn out, remove the baking paper and turn over to finish cooling right way up.

This cake definitely mellows with a little time and can be prepared up to 48 hours in advance.* (According to the source)
To serve, sift icing sugar on top and decorate with orange zest and almonds.



*Note: If cake is not served on the same day, please keep in the fridge(wrapped or covered) because this cake is moist and is like a custard (set with eggs) it doesn’t keep that well at room temperature. My cake smelled weird after 36 hours at room temperature.

25 comments:

  1. Nice texture and colour.
    I tried something similar with boiled orange. It didn't go down well with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 years ago I baked something similar but your cake texture is so much prettier. I think it is time for me to revisit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wendy, I tried the boiled orange for the butter cake, very delicious. This looks good too but with almond powder, not sure my fil can eat or not, anyway recipe jot down 1st :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. wendy..lawa dah tuh rataa.. xde krakatoa or gunung kinabalu! hihihi... the taste mesti much better sbb ground almonds tuh! harus bookmark!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Use boiled oranges? Haha...sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oooo this seems good. It's definitely in my "to do" list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. look very special
    Almond + Orange
    must yummy

    ReplyDelete
  8. Busygran,
    Hmmm..why? bitter or soggy?



    Edith,
    3 years to repeat a cake is quite long :)
    Do try a boiled orange cake soon.



    Jess,
    I have to say, it doesn't feel like eating regular cake made from wheat flour.



    Hana,
    kikiki, sebab, kek ni tak pakei tepung, tak pakei serbuk penaik, jadi okler skit. Tak meletup letup!!


    Little Inbox,
    I got interested because of the boiled orange too.



    Jet,
    Thanks and do let me know how it went.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Both orange & almond has pretty strong flavor. So I can imagine this Cake should be quite intense and aromatic. Nice texture!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i saw Jane's corner made the same cake too and have bookmark it, but still no time to try out..

    ReplyDelete
  11. Use whole orange kah? won't be bitter meh? If not the orangy smell plus taste should be super nice!

    ReplyDelete
  12. PynnLee,
    It's a nice combination :)



    Bee,
    Maybe I didn't roast the almonds, so, the almonds are quite mild here.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sonia,
    Oh, is it?
    I got this recipe from an Australian site.



    Meldylocks,
    Supposedly navel oranges piths won't be bitter.
    Which is why navel is used here. Truly, not a hint of bitterness.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow...no flour used! This cake must be very nutritious with so much almond powder used. Would love to try one day. Thanks very much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Wendy,
    I saw a similar recipe from our papers about a year ago. I cut the recipe, but don't know where I've placed it. I like it because it uses whole oranges and ground almond. Now that you have made this, I don't have to hunt for the recipe anymore. Your cake turns out to be so beautiful and so even. Yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Wendy,

    "Place the two whole oranges in a saucepan and cover with water" meaning don't peel the skin and discard?

    Regards,
    EC

    ReplyDelete
  17. This cake is pretty healthy too. No oil or butter. I can imagine the sweet orange flavor of it. I would love to try this out one day.

    ReplyDelete
  18. No flour and no butter? Interesting but 5 eggs seem like a lot leh. I'll just bookmark this first.

    I've got an easy orange cake recipe from KC using orange juice. A member recommended to use whole boiled oranges. I've tried with both version, juice only and whole orange, the latter wins.

    ReplyDelete
  19. MaryMoh,
    Yes no flour, it's supposed to be a gluten free cake


    Passionate about baking,
    Thanks. If you ever try this, let me know.



    EC,
    Yes, unpeeled. Whole.



    Gert,
    I was sold to this recipe because of that too.



    Blessed Homemaker,
    The cake might be quite huge for ur family.
    I suggest u half it. It's big for me too. And it's a filling cake.
    The egg works as a binder for the almond meal.
    Orange cake must have the peel in it, no peel (or zest) no taste. So, I'm not surprised the one with just juice lost.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I made something similar with clementines! Love the moist and soft texture!

    ReplyDelete
  21. My son hates orange zest in cakes, he will spit it out so no peels for me. But if I use the whole orange, it's a different story.

    ReplyDelete
  22. pigpigscorner,
    Oh, I've never eaten a clementine. Not found here :(




    Blessed Homemaker,
    Wah, how coarse is your grater?
    If those candied peels, I don't like them as well.
    But fresh zest is very fine, undetectable at all.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Almond and Orange, sounds yummy. I will try this

    ReplyDelete
  24. Jes's Deli Corner,
    The almond here replaces the flour and fat.
    Hope u like this, but the mouthfeel is coarser than cakes made with flour.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I've seen similar recipe on magazine but skeptical of boiling the whole orange and add into cakes. But after seeing urs raising so nice n firm, I will attempt this! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...