New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Stir Fried Red Cabbage with Apples


I did another version or red cabbage with apples, and this time, no wine, no jam, which makes this more economical. And if you are thinking of what to serve for your Christmas dinner together with your main dish, this can be considered.

Frankly I prefer this version. Taste wise and cooking time. This version is a lot faster and easier.
And I retained the crunch in it. All it took was just 15 minutes from preparation to finish cooking, compared to almost an hour for the previous recipe.

Stir Fried Red Cabbage with Apples.
Recipe Source: Wendyywy
Serves 4-6.

550-600gm red cabbage, rinsed and thinly sliced
2 small green apples, peeled, julienned (comes to about 1 heaped cup)
1 small red onion, sliced
1 Tbsp olive oil or cooking oil
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
¾ tsp salt and some black pepper
1 ½ Tbsp brown sugar or more
20gm butter (1 heaped Tbsp)

1. Heat a heavy based pot(wok will be fine too, but make sure you have a lid) on medium heat and put in oil. Cook onions until soft and translucent.
2. Put in apples and stir. Cook for about 30 seconds. Turn heat to high
3. Then put in sliced red cabbage. Immediately put in vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Then stir.
4. Make sure everything is well mixed, cook for about 1-2 minutes until you see the cabbage start to wilt. Put on the lid and turn heat to low. The cabbage will sweat and there is no need of adding water.
5. Stir it from time to time and replace lid. Let it cook until desired level of texture:-, crunchy and wilted, or soft.
6. Then turn heat to high and put in salt, pepper and sugar and butter. Cook until butter has melted. Turn off heat and transfer to plate to serve.

12 comments:

  1. This is interesting. Never try this combination before :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. the color is very pretty but somehow whenever i eat purple cabbage it is bitter so i don't dare to eat it anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Zoe,
    It's more of a western style of cooking this cabbage.


    Jess Kitchen,
    I know what u mean by that. Sometimes if done, the Chinese way, they might be bitter. But since this has sugar and acidic components, it's no longer bitter, unless it is bitter due to excessive pesticides, but I don't think vegetables in Singapore have pesticides to worry about.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love purple cabbage, always add in to my salad :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank for sharing, nice recipe your hv, very healthy dish^^

    ReplyDelete
  6. did the apples also turn red?? cant see them..this would be a nice side dish. i also want to let you know that you can get the fresh roasted chestnuts from ipoh jusco foodcourt section.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love your combination of red cabbage and apples, both are very crunchy :) A very healthy choice.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Unique combination there, I wonder how it taste like? Sure is good I guess :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jess Bakericious,
    Yeah, it's nice in salads



    Janice,
    you're welcomed




    lena,
    Oh is it. Haha, I rarely go to that section. Always bypass it. Thanks!
    The apples also turned red, so you can't see them.




    Min,
    the apples are not detectable here, in terms of texture. It's function is to create an acidic situation for the cabbage to turn red.




    WyYv,
    My MIL loved it, so did my hubby's aunt.

    ReplyDelete
  10. this food is one popular food in russia ... :P

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey, I'm back from my hometown!! Really so tied up that I din surf or the last 4 days!! Then suddenly so many nice posting of yours that I missed! I like all the previous ones leh! Haiz, I really wonder how can I continue "blog-hopping" after I go back to work... :(

    ReplyDelete
  12. Voon,
    Oh, but I see all ur food pics not like this geh, haha, they all look brown one woh.



    Meldy,
    Oh, u were away.
    Can can, buy a netbook and bring to school. LOL.
    I'm going to do that when I get back to school too.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...