Wednesday, December 22, 2010
Stir Fried Red Cabbage with Apples
I did another version or red cabbage with apples, and this time, no wine, no jam, which makes this more economical. And if you are thinking of what to serve for your Christmas dinner together with your main dish, this can be considered.
Frankly I prefer this version. Taste wise and cooking time. This version is a lot faster and easier.
And I retained the crunch in it. All it took was just 15 minutes from preparation to finish cooking, compared to almost an hour for the previous recipe.
Stir Fried Red Cabbage with Apples.
Recipe Source: Wendyywy
550-600gm red cabbage, rinsed and thinly sliced
2 small green apples, peeled, julienned (comes to about 1 heaped cup)
1 small red onion, sliced
1 Tbsp olive oil or cooking oil
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
¾ tsp salt and some black pepper
1 ½ Tbsp brown sugar or more
20gm butter (1 heaped Tbsp)
1. Heat a heavy based pot(wok will be fine too, but make sure you have a lid) on medium heat and put in oil. Cook onions until soft and translucent.
2. Put in apples and stir. Cook for about 30 seconds. Turn heat to high
3. Then put in sliced red cabbage. Immediately put in vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Then stir.
4. Make sure everything is well mixed, cook for about 1-2 minutes until you see the cabbage start to wilt. Put on the lid and turn heat to low. The cabbage will sweat and there is no need of adding water.
5. Stir it from time to time and replace lid. Let it cook until desired level of texture:-, crunchy and wilted, or soft.
6. Then turn heat to high and put in salt, pepper and sugar and butter. Cook until butter has melted. Turn off heat and transfer to plate to serve.
New Youtube Channel
Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA