New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Individual Banoffee Pies with Chocolate Biscuit Crust


I’ve seen HomeKreation doing banoffee pies. Her kids loved this to bits and oh my, I just got to try this banoffee pie some day.

But I was worried that the crust might go soggy, cos we don’t eat that fast!!! So, I came up with adding melted chocolate into the crust. It makes it slightly waterproof, and the crust is definitely sturdier with some chocolate in it. And dark chocolate is a good contrast to the sweet dulce de leche.

And I chose to use Cavendish bananas, as they don’t brown that easily compared to local varieties. If you do not know what is Cavendish bananas, just head to your nearest hypermart and find Dole or Del Monte bananas. Cavendish is the variety and Dole and Del Monte are the brands. It’s just like Navel or Valencia oranges that comes with the brand Sunkist or whatever name. Cavendish to bananas is the equivalent of Navel and Valencia is to oranges. Well, if you can’t find Cavendish bananas, try tossing your sliced bananas in lemon juice to prevent them from browning, but I don’t want the tang of lemon to be in my pie. Do what you think is suitable for you.



Mini Banoffee Pies with Chocolate Biscuit Crust Recipe
Recipe source : Wendyywy
Inspired by: Home Kreation

80gm butter
80gm dark chocolate
160gm digestive biscuits or graham crackers, pulverized
4 large Cavendish bananas, sliced
½ cup Dulce de Leche, more or less
Some cocoa powder for dusting


300gm whipping cream + 2 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp gelatin
1 Tbsp water

1. Melt butter and dark chocolate together. Stir in pulverized biscuits. Press firmly into small tart tins. Freeze for 30 minutes or more. Pie crust is ready when it falls out from the tin when overturned (you might need to pry it slightly with a toothpick, but it should fall out with the slightest prying). Remove all crust from tins. Keep them chilled before use.
2. While waiting for the crust to firm up, sprinkle gelatin over water and let it sit for 5 minutes. Zap in microwave on high for 20 secs or melt it over a pan of hot water. Leave to cool. Freeze your mixing bowl now.
3. When crusts are ready, spread 2/3 tsp of Dulce de Leche into pie crust. You can put more if you like it sweeter
4. Slice bananas thinly and arrange in crust. Place pies back into fridge.
5. Remove mixing bowl from freezer or put your bowl in a basin of ice water and whip the cream and sugar until soft peaks. With the mixer on, carefully drizzle in the gelatin mixture and whip until stiff.
6. Pipe or spoon cream over bananas and dust with cocoa powder.
7. Keep chilled until time of serving, but not more than 12 hours, just in case the crust turns soggy (I've never kept these for than 4 hours, all gobbled up, so I don't really know).




As usual, I share my bakes with my neighbours. Hehe, neighbor Maria shared the pie with her co workers and after eating only 1 quarter of this mini pie, asked me, “How much do you charge if I want to order this?” That shows it’s really good.

Here's what I made for Maria. A big banoffee pie, since it's cheaper than small ones. Small ones more work hence, higher cost :)





One last pic :)



25 comments:

  1. I can see why the pic makes you happy...because they are yummy. Loves the smaller Banoffee pies...they are cute.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, the pies look soooo good. They are very beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good try! You make me mouth-watering.
    By the way, since I got pumpkin at home, so I will bake some muffins using it with reference to your butternut squash muffin recipe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Zoe,
    Everybody preferred the smaller ones :)
    Easier to serve and eat



    Jet,
    LOL :) Thanks



    Little Inbox,
    Thanks.
    I hope ur muffins turn out good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pretty pretty pies with my favorite bananas in it would you please courier some to sg for me wendy?? pretty please!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jess Kitchen,
    Can Can, but dun regret ur decision. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  7. lol i think i better go malaysia to get from you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These little pies are so cute! The white piped flowers with the chocolate crust just go together so well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't stop myself from coming to your blog .... this looks 'sinfully' delicious! OMG

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jess Kitchen,
    Oh you better do :)



    Esther,
    Thanks :)



    Yummy Koh,
    LOL. Thanks for coming :)
    I've included a link in the post for dulce de leche. Hope you can make your own DDL.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Günaydın, ellerinize sağlık. Çok leziz ve iştah açıcı görünüyor.

    Saygılarımla.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks yummy with banana. It's good to try. Between, for dulce de leche - if i use slow cooker at night, the heat will be high is it? and for how long? i think i will try your method boil it cos im afraid the slow cooker exploded hehehe.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never had banoffee pie before!! =O haha...
    Now I want to try too! I love the idea of melted chocolate to the crust =) I didn't realise it would help it not go soggy! You've always got the best ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fuat Gencal,
    thanks for dropping by



    Jes's Deli Corner,
    For DDL with slow cooker, Pour in hot water, let it cook overnight on LOW heat.
    Actually the grooves are there on the tin for safety reasons. Don't worry, I boiled it for a few times oredi, my kitchen still intact. Haha.



    Von,
    That was just a thought, I'm not sure if kept for long hours whether it'll turn soggy, but so far it's still crunchy for me, after 6 hours (my last attempt). And the melted chocolate made the crust really sturdy.

    ReplyDelete
  15. ALL your pics make me happy AND HUNGRY...OK??
    The last pic and the big pie look like a pretty bunch of white ixora sitting on a chocolate plate, with chocolate dust sprinkled on them...HMMM... ;P
    Oh,btw, you mean Dole and Del Monte are not local? Then from where? I'sia or Thai?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Meldylocks,
    Oh, I never thought of ixoras, now that u've mentioned them, they do look like it :)
    Cavendish is not a local variety, unlike pisang mas or berangan. I'm not sure where those Dole or Del Montes sold in Msia are planted, but Cavendish is definately not a local variety.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wendy, they make me very happy just by looking at it. Your piping skill is tremendously good! You have to know that...I need to try this, and I will have to add Dulce de Leche!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are gorgeous and look absolutely delicious.

    I'm new to your blog - can't wait to see the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  19. that is one fine dessert :) i like those creamy food like this u made.. very nice^^

    ReplyDelete
  20. Quinn,
    Thanks for the compliments. It was just
    I use about 1 tsp DDL per mini pie. It can be rather sweet, but it all depends on individuals.
    The banana is oredi so sweet.
    Anyway, I hope u like it.



    Sara,
    Thanks for coming to my blog.
    Hope you like the rest of my blog :)



    WyYv,
    Haha, for cream lovers, sure 100% hit.
    I guess you must be one.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wendy, I wanted to make this banoffee pie too, looks so delicious but sinful leh, not gd for my waist :P. You made your banoffee look so pretty, can sell liao.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Jess,
    The cream, it's the cream that's the most sinful. My neighbour said, it feels like eating banana ice cream tart. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  23. this recipe yield how many tarts?

    ReplyDelete
  24. Anonymous,
    It depends on how thick you mould the crust and how big your tart tins are.
    I had 9 tarts with this recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...