New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Saturday, October 2, 2010

Nectarine and Plum Cobbler


Now…. Plums are full rage here. At RM10/kg, it’s not that expensive compared to the previous stone fruits that I’ve used, like apricots, peaches and cherries. And plums are easily available no matter which part of Malaysia you are in, well, I can’t say the same for really small villages or the interior of East Malaysia. I do remember Ting, my old Sarawakian housemate, that there’re no plums where she stay, and she has to order them from her fruit seller. But anyway, it’s still the most common and cheapest stone fruit in Malaysia.
And this time, I want to make a cobbler, a more usual cobbler compared to the rolled up one.I was attracted to this recipe, because the biscuit topping uses yogurt, and how I love yogurt in bakes. Makes the texture all so nice.

Initially I wanted to make a plum cobbler. Well, plums don’t have much fragrance, so I added in some nectarines. I saw these nectarines at the morning market at RM1/pc. Cheap huh!!! But these nectarines were a pain in the a** when it comes to pitting. Usually I’ll just cut at the slit, the run the knife all around the fruit, then twist the fruit to release from the seed. Darn!!! It just won’t budge, and the whole fruit squashed in my hands. Anyone wants nectarine pulp??? Well, anyway, luckily in this recipe, the fruits are chopped and hidden under that biscuit crust. I gathered the pulp, still in recognizable large pieces and chopped. I didn’t twist the other nectarines, but just cut them off the seed. Darn!!!


Nectarine and Plum Cobbler
Recipe adapted from Cupcake Muffin

Biscuit Crust
125gm all purpose flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
¼ tsp salt
50gm sugar
60gm butter
65gm plain yogurt

Filling
1kg of plums and nectarines (weighed before cutting)
60gm soft brown sugar (how much sugar depends on how sweet ur fruits are, if they are just sweet, then this will be nice, but if they are slightly sour, please be a lot more generous with the sugar as the sourness intensifies after baking)
1 Tbsp lemon zest
3 Tbsp lemon juice (I find it a bit too sour, maybe 1 tbsp might be sufficient, but adjust this to your liking)
30gm corn starch (I prefer cornstarch to flour)

1. Cut plums and nectarines into cubes. Put in sugar and let it macerate for 30 minutes.
2. Preheat oven to 160/180C.
3. Meanwhile (after step 1, while waiting), Sift flour with baking soda and baking powder. Mix with salt and sugar.
4. Rub cold butter into (3) until it resembles crumbs.
5. Put in yogurt, and with a spoon, gently mix until it becomes a soft and sticky dough. Add more yogurt by the teaspoon if you please, should you ever find it not soft enough.
6. Now, take the fruits and then toss in lemon zest, lemon juice and cornstarch. Toss toss toss.
7. Melt some butter (about 1 Tbsp) and pour into your baking dish (I used a 6X9 pan and a 6 oz ramekin), or you can actually melt the butter in the oven while preheating.
8. Pour all the fruits into the buttered pan. Dot with the sticky dough until surface seems all covered. No need to be too perfect.
9. Bake for 40 minutes or until surface looks golden and pretty.

I like the way the filling seems to ooze out from under the biscuit crust

I took the shot above when it was still very very warm, was rushing, actually. So, the filling looks runny. The colour of the filling actually darkened as it ages. By night, it turned so prettily pink that when I had this for supper, I truly regretted not taking the earlier pics against a dark backdrop. And it's a lot firmer too and no longer runny.

22 comments:

  1. This looks so wonderful, I am totally a cobbler girl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cobbler is actually my dad's favorite and have been naming to bake one. Looking at yours made me pretty motivated to bake it. Will go scout for the plums & nectarines later at the grocery store. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jennifurla,
    Haha, I know you are a fruit lover girl, and that's for sure!!!



    Ah yan,
    Thanks



    Bee,
    Sure, they are all in season now.
    Hope ur dad will enjoy this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks so delicious!!! And the color is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wendy, the cobbler finally appears la ... The pix still look nice to me ar ... I'm still holding firm to my stance, like what I'd told you months ago.

    Yea, this recipe is a bit different from usual cobbler recipes. I think you used dough for making drop biscuits here. Juicy-looking cobbler!

    Actually hor, I think plums are quite flavorful. I've been snacking on dark plums this week. So soft, so sweet, so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jet,
    thanks


    Pei-Lin,
    Plums are nice to eat, and sweet, but they have no distinctive fragrance, and when baked, they are rather "plain", besides being sweet and only sweet, nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yea the nectarine seed is very difficult to remove. I will normally cut it in half and use a spoon to remove the seed. I still have a few nearly dried up plumps and nectarines sitting in the fridge and not sure what to do with it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gert,
    Few days back, I used nectarines for a cake, and the seeds came off well.
    Hahaha, nearly dried up, baking them will be a good choice.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love the delicate fragrance and sweetness of white flesh peaches/nectarines but they are notoriously difficult wotsits when removing the stone!

    ReplyDelete
  10. what a perfectly lovely dessert!! the fruit just bubbly delicious and that crust looks so very very good! I love the yogurt in the crust, that is a must try for me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Plum leaf,
    Haha. I love the way u described them.


    Chef Dennis,
    I hope you'll like this:)

    ReplyDelete
  12. plum & nectarine combi sounds delicious! a nice dessert this is!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made lots of crumble but haven't try cobbler before. Your cobbler looks crisp at the top which is so tempting to me. Thanks for sharing, I shall try out cobbler soon.

    ReplyDelete
  14. petite nyonya,
    Thanks


    Kitchen Corner,
    It's crispy while it's stil hot, but when it cools down, it's not that crispy anymore, as usual, our weather is so humid.
    Do let me know the outcome :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. looks amazing! Love the colors of your photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. claire,
    Thanks


    Home Kreation,
    thank you

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Wendy! =) I love your photography style..
    do u have studio lighting at home?
    taking a picture at midnight is not easy. And your lighting looks fantastic!!

    Coraine @ life is like a long journey

    ReplyDelete
  18. Coraine,
    Thanks.
    I do no own studio lighting.
    I do take a lot of pics indoors with the help of an external flash used indirectly.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Wendy,
    ic! As my lighting at home is all yellow in colour, my photos turns out yellowish. Not nice..

    I love your pictures~ nice! =)

    Coraine @ life is like a long journey

    ReplyDelete
  20. I tried this just with plums and it turned out great. I am a Turkish blogger, so I translated your recipe into Turkish and posted it on my blog. Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...