New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Steamed Cassava Parcels / Pais Ubi Kayu

I first had a taste of this in an Orang Asli (aboriginal) settlement in year 2000. Another volunteer from Sabah made this simple steamed cake using just the simple ingredients found at the village.

Update 26/4/13: Only until recently I knew the Malay name of this kuih, it's Pais Ubi Kayu.

The Malays have another similar kuih called Lepat Ubi, but I like this version better, which was a lot softer, due to the absense of additional tapioca starch.

If you already have the grated cassava on hand, this makes a quick tea time treat.


Steamed Cassava Parcels / Lepat Ubi
Recipe Source: Wendyywy

1 cup packed grated cassava (no need to squeeze dry)
1/4 to 1/3 cup packed freshly grated coconut
1/4 cup sugar
7-10 pieces of banana leaves, cut to about 5X8inches and blanched in boiling water for 2 seconds to soften.


1. Mix everything together except the leaves :) Put some into ur mouth and taste, adjust sweetness accordingly. Remember to spit out the raw cassava mixture.
2. Put one heaped Tbsp of the mixture onto banana leaf and wrap (method shown below)
3. Steam on high heat for 10 minutes.



19 comments:

  1. I'm first, can I have some please? yummy yummy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. never eaten this before does sg has this?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sonia,
    Haha, so happy ah.
    Eh, u have banana tree at home, right?
    Make some la.




    Jess Kitchen,
    I don't know about Sg, but this is a Malay kuih, not that much of a nyonya kuih.

    ReplyDelete
  4. look great and easy!! must try this dessert!I just bought some banana leaves!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Eh, so easy meh? must try la one day...really will be soft? The ones my MIL made are so hard...But she din wrap in banana leaves la, she just stuff everything on a plate and steam.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this seems easy!

    did you get my mail? i've sent it out yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ya it seems so easy..is it very sweet?

    ReplyDelete
  8. that seems to be one interesting thing to make~ thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't think I've had this before. Looks good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Reminds me of lipat pisang I used to make. The banana leaf wrapping gives the tapioca extra flavour.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would love to try this, looks so easy and yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember eating this kueh before but that was a long long time ago. I think there were some gula melaka inside. I can imagine the fragrant of the banana leaf in the kueh.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My Asian Dessert,
    I hope you'll love this



    Meldy,
    So far when eaten warm it's soft. This hardly gets around long enough.




    lena,
    yes, got it, and noted.
    Very easy actually.




    Jes's Deli Corner,
    U slowly add the sugar, and taste as u go along.
    Nothing worse than to have oversweetened kuih, can't do anything to salvage it.




    WyYv,
    Hope you'll like this




    pigpigscorner,
    This is not a popular kuih among Chinese, but popular among Malays




    Busygran,
    Oh yes, lepat pisang is another wrapped kuih.
    I'll do that someday too.




    Anncoo,
    It's very easy, provided the grated cassava is ready.




    Gert,
    Do you mean, it's mixed in, or filled in?
    The one I ate, was with white sugar, but you can definately use gula melaka for it.
    Very very fragrant.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I dun think I ever try this b4, you must spare me some :P

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jess Bakericious,
    Ok sure, come over.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You've got a great blog with lovely pictures. Haven't had this kueh for ages. Yours look inviting!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cheah,
    Thanks.
    Hope you'll drop by more often.

    ReplyDelete
  18. i just made some,going to taste it now.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi wendy,
    This is my favourite traditional dessert..
    I'm from indonesia, in my country, this kuih has so many name.. In my city, we called this "Utri", in another city it's called " Lemet" and another names again.. :D
    Usually we use gula melaka or we called this gula merah, then add 1 or 2 tbsp white sugar and a pinch of salt, then mixed it together.
    Sometimes i add 1 pack of agar-agar powder (7gr) :D
    Yummy and delicious..
    A few days ago i just made it..
    Thanks for your post.. I love to read your blog.. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...