New Youtube Channel

Now that my home's internet speed is upgraded, I can make more videos!
This is my new channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgW4rIH3Gg6Lc8v4G0QlqgA
Please subscribe!

Thursday, November 18, 2010

White Radish Soup


We used to make white radish (daikon) soup by just boiling the radishes with pork ribs, with some cracked peppercorns, until we tasted a version that was so good in Seri Kembangan, Serdang.

My university is in Serdang, Selangor and my elder brother was actually my senior. Yeah, we took the same course. When I was a freshie, he was almost graduating. After his graduation ceremony, he brought our family to this Hakka Stuffed Tofu shop in the Seri Kembangan Chinese Village. My brother will definitely order their radish soup and indeed, it was very very good. And from then onwards, we never cooked our radish soup the same way that we used to, but tried to recreate what we had from the shop.



White Radish Soup Recipe

200gm white radish, peeled and cut into slanting pieces
50 gm carrots, peeled and cut into slanting pieces
200gm pork loin or 300gm spareribs (blanched)
30gm raw peanuts, soaked for minimum 4 hours, best overnight.
1 Tbsp dried mussels, rinsed
6 red dates, seeds removed
10 white peppercorns, cracked with the sides of a cleaver
1 sprig green onion/scallion, thinly sliced
2L water
Salt to taste

1. Put water into a pot and bring to boil.
2. Put in everything else except green onions and salt.
3. Bring to a boil and turn to low heat and simmer for 2 hours.
4. Season with salt and serve.

10 comments:

  1. I love this soup and we usually boil it with roasted pork ribs. The last time I had this was in 2008 and I was admitted to the ER. Too much angin and my stomach can't take it, So no more radish soup for me :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy,

    I heard that radish with red carrot should not be cooked together. Somehow there is a substance in the radish that will kill the vitamin from the red carrots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is my favorite soup too. It's not suitable for those who is on medication.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love radish soup. Mine uses three types of colours, white, green and red.

    Will try your version one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this is one of my fav soup, like icook4fun, i usually cook with roasted pork bones/ribs and that's really tasty. you give me an idea to add in some peanuts too

    ReplyDelete
  6. Refreshing soup indeed! Did you use lean pork ribs? No sign of a lot of oil in the soup.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gert,
    Sorry to hear abt that.
    Before that nothing's has happened before? So sudden? Gosh, must have scared you to bits.





    Lisa,
    Thanks for telling me this.





    Little Inbox,
    Yeah, heard it "fah" the medication





    Edith,
    I did that version too, about a year ago.





    lena,
    Oh, I hardly go to the wet market, so I can hardly get siu chu guat. If I ever bump into them, I'll get some.





    Busygran,
    I like to use pork loin. Less oil and sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Wendy, you also from UPM ah? I also same Uni as u leh. What course are you taking then? Ya ya the Yong Tau Fu shop still there and I still remember their soup.

    ReplyDelete
  9. are yall talking about the yong tau fu place that is actually a kampong house branch out into a shop (sorta). and, its in a super small road/lane in the middle of the village? but its so famous that everyone know how to get there? if we are tlaking about the same shop, then i feel you! i so love their soup, and yong tau fu.
    my family is actually from seri kembangan and growing up eating it is one of my best memories!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jess,
    I think that's the one, somewhere a few streets away from the secondary school in the village (on the high parts).
    LOL, very nice hoh the soup

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for dropping by my blog.
All comments are greatly appreciated.

If you have tried any of the recipes and blogged about it, please provide a link so that others may have a look at it too :)

FOR NON BLOGGERS:
Please select profile and click "Name/URL" if u do not have any profiles on any of those listed, type in the name (leave the URL empty)

It's not nice to call you ANONYMOUS, so please leave a name.
From 15/11/13 onwards, I will NOT reply comments with no name.

Only comments on posts older than 24 hours will be moderated :)
You won't see them appearing immediately if it's not a fresh post.






Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...